Looking for Plant Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquatic_Adam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to set up two 10g biotope tanks. One being SouthEast Asian and the other being South American. What would be some good plants for each? I'm not running high lighting at the moment but I plan to upgrade to it. Thanks!

For the South East asian, you could have some aponogeton species, although most get pretty big for a ten gallon. Vals, crypt. Wentii, rotalla, just to name a few. As for the SA, sword (although most get really big), java fern, pennywort, java moss, dwarf chain swords. Those are all I can think of right now, but good luck!

+1^ on those species. However, if you're really going for a realistic South American biotope, keep in mind there are VERY few plants that inhabit the area in actuality. It's really tannin stained with driftwood, dead leaves, rocks and sand pretty much. Also keep in mind that, the common Amazon Sword plant doesn't actually hail from the Amazon region.

Ya, I guess if you REALLY wanted an amazon biotope, you could have brown water, no plants, some driftwood, and a layer of dead leaves as the substrate, but that's no fun. I guess that is why most of the plants are bog plants (swords) and grow in the shallow areas. Not much light can probably get through that water.

Yeah...I've come to find that plants for a South American biotope may be a little hard. I've decided that since I have a lot of plants already, I'll just kinda biotope the fish...not quite as cool...but when you already have a boat load of java fern, anubias, and crypts...may as well use then everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom