Mystery Crypt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glenc

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all. I got this crypt as a free-bee included in the bag my Rubbernose pleco came in. The person at the LFS had netted it with the pleco, and was to lazy to take it out! Bonus for me. It was just a tiny thing but has grown quite well in the worst gravel, no root tabs. It started out a pale, pretty green and has changed to a brownish, purple now. Leaves are as thin as a pencil. There is a danio in this shot, gives you a idea how big it is. I've had it about 4 months. I have split it up and planted it a few different tanks and it does well anywhere. Any idea what kind of crypt this is? Thanks.

Thanks for the info. It's not crucial that I know what this Crypt is, as it's doing fine. Just curious! And yes, it is cool to get a free-bee once in a while.

Wow, hard to tell. I'm with malkore, it doesn't look like a C. wendtii variant. There are so many possibilities one can never be sure unless you get the opportunity to see an inflorescence (i.e. Crypt flower) from the plant. It's the only sure way to ID a Crypt. It might be easier to tell after it matures a little more, but I would worry too much about it, it's a pretty one :)

Crypts will look very different under different conditions. I have had plants that look like one species in one tank, and I plant some young plants in another and they end up looking very different. As Travis mentioned, you must see the flower to get an absolutely positive id. while it is nice to know exactly what plant you have, in a general sense, simply knowing it is a crypt species will point you at caring for it properly.

Back
Top Bottom