New Tank, Need Suggestions on Plants to Keep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bs6749

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am finally going to have my 125 up and running next week or weekend when my stand comes in and I am going to need some plants to put in it but I don't know WHAT plants to keep. I am wanting to keep this a "South American" themed tank and therefore I would like to keep mainly plants from that region, however, if a suggestion is made to me that looks nice and fits, I may decide to get some.

Here is a little background info about the tank:

Lighting: Will be 1.5-2.0 WPG. I don't want anything higerer as I don't want to go CO2 injection yet and I don't want algae : )

Temp: Not sure it matters a whole lot but it will be 82-86 degrees.

Current plants: Many Amazon sword, an anubias, other swords (melon I think) and some hairgrass, java moss on driftwood.

Fish- Tank will have for sure: GBR's, some tetra (neon/black neon/cardinal), BN pleco and possibly 1-2 gold nuggets, and I would like to have some discus and a pair or two of angels. I don't think any of these like to nibble on plants, but I'm a plant noob lol.

Please submit your ideas to me along with pics of it either in your tank or from a reference site. Also, if you have anything I like, please let me know how much you would like for whatever it is that I may want. You can PM me with details. Thanks for all of your help.

I know Anubias is not a SA species..... and I would think that "Java" moss isn't either. All Echinodorus sp are from South America, also Vallisneria, some Cabombas and probably a few others. Have you checked out www.plantgeek.net? They have a function where you can search for plants by location of origin.

None of the fish you mentioned will eat plants. However the angels might eat some of smaller tetras (neons especially). i would hold off on the discus for a while until the tank gets very well established.

Thanks for your help, I didn't know plantgeek had a spot like that. I am aware that the angels may go after the neons/cardinals and I actually wanted them for that reason. I wanted about 3 dozen or so tetras in a tight school and thought the angels would make the school more compact and defensive. It's "natural" IMO.

Edit: Oh, and I realized the moss wasn't from SA and I like the looks of my anubias on the driftwood : )

The temp actually does matter. There are several plants (vals come to mind) that typically don't tolerate the higher temps for sustained periods of time. Also, mosses tend to grow better are cooler temps, low 70's to upper 60's.

Cabomba prob won't grow too well for you, as it typically needs a lot of light.

check out plantgeek though, should have good info.

Back
Top Bottom