plant ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anyone ID this plant for me? I'm new to live plants and I received it in a "grab bag" for the tank. It's tiny, the leaves are about 2cm wide. I don't know what it is, but I'd like to get more since it seems to be doing well.

Attachments

• tinyplant.jpg
    tinyplant.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 42
I think this is a small amazon sword plant of some kind. Unsure as to what kind however. I wouldnt rule out anubias either, but a better shot of the root system could confirm/deny that possibility.

Looks like Anubias to me too ... with the rhizome buried. To confirm, dig around the root a bit, there should be a thick horizontal "root-like" stem (the rhizome) where all the leaves grow out of. <The true roots grow down from the underside of the rhizome.> The rhizome should be above the gravel. Burying it can cause it to rot & eventually kill the plant.

Thanks for the help. When I get home I can dig around it and take more photos. It's been planted like this for about five months though and grown a lot since I bought it.

here's a (bad quality, sorry) picture of the root system. I replanted it with the rhizome(s) above the sand

Attachments

• rootsystem.jpg
    rootsystem.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom