Plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please help ID this plant for me thank you.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395064065.364796.jpg

looks like java fern to me, dont bury the rhyzome or it will die. Keep the rhyzome above the gravel and the roots in the gravel. Most people, including myself, elastic it to a rock and place it in the tank. much luck

still thinking java fern, so there are roots okay, and those roots that extend everywhere basically are attatched to what looks like a thicker root that runs horizontal. That horizontal thick root is the rhyzome which needs to be out of the gravel. Ensure it is above the gravel and the plant should thrive!

It appears to be a basal rosette with all stems coming from one point. Also note the single leaf on the right side with the long stem before it widens out a bit. That is not something one sees in Java ferns. I could be wrong, but I would bet if the poster dug this plant out, it would have roots and no rhizome.

It appears to be a basal rosette with all stems coming from one point. Also note the single leaf on the right side with the long stem before it widens out a bit. That is not something one sees in Java ferns. I could be wrong, but I would bet if the poster dug this plant out, it would have roots and no rhizome.
Well thats the only real way we can figure it out i guess :lol:.

Yep! :) It is probably echinodorus grisebachii but there are so many types that look the same or similar when they are small. I have lots of plants just like this in my larger planted tank.

That's definitely an amazon sword, not a java fern. Looks identical to the species I have. It recently sent out a stem that produced 2 baby plants.
They do great in low light or high light and they love root tabs!

Back
Top Bottom