Plant Identification help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have looked at plantgeek.net and aquariumplants.com for an ID on this plant. It appears to be at least in the family of aponogeton, but I cannot seem to find this particular plant.

Attachments

• dscn5949.jpg
    dscn5949.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 76
It could be a Cryptocoryne, maybe a narrow-leaf blassii or maybe wendtii, but the growth pattern looks wrong. I think that it is Purple waffle, Hemigraphis exotica, which is not an aquatic plant but is sometimes sold as one. The leaves look narrower than the one on plantgeek, but very similar to ones in a quick google image search. It may live for a while but will not thrive and will die in a few months. Bummer. :evil:

Where did you buy it at? I know Petco sells a lot of non-aquatics in plastic tubes.

I bought it at an independent local fish store. I just looked up the links on the purple waffle and the leaf shape is not right for this plant. The leaves are much narrower and kind of lobed.

I just checked it out, the leaf edges are too smooth for this plant...

I thought yours looked like the one HERE.

The color in the pic isn't great but the shape is right. Plants of the same species can look very different depending on how they were grown, how much light, what fertilization, what subspecies/variety and whether or not they are labeled correctly :? .

That does look like it .... the coloration is a bit different but I put the images side by side and it is darn close. So this means the plant is doomed?

Many non aquatic plants will survive for several months fully submersed. However they will eventually begin to deteriorate and die unless given a period of emersion.

It's hard to tell just what it might be. If it was grown emersed (out of the water) it's growth form may be completely different than what it will look like submersed if it is a true aquatic plant. Because of the brilliant coloration and venation on the undersides of the leaves and the stem physiology, I'm tempted to agree with penpitt and say that it may be an emersed growth specimen of A. reineckii. Keep your eye on it for signs of change in leaf growth and shape and/or deterioration. Hopefully it will do well :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom