Plant selection in a 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristian Tombs

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'll try and describe my tank at the moment. Two pieces of bogwood at the back in the middle place vertically one with anubias nana and the other with anubias nana bonsai. Underneath those two pieces is another of bogwood with java fern on it. That piece is slanted forward to give the allusion the java fern is coming out from underneath the Anubias. In the front of the tank I have two pieces of bogwood with java moss on them to act as focal points on either side.

I'll upload a picture next weekend when I've got the silicone to make it permanent.

This month I will be changing to eco complete. I'm already using root tabs, liquid fertiliser and liquid co2. I just need to find out my lighting. Because I don't know :(

Then I will be stocking with rooting plants. Thinking of a carpet of baby dwarf tears in the front behind that a carpet of dwarf hair grass the two carpets will be separated by the two small pieces of bogwood along the sides of the tank a collection of crypts and as background plants elodea dense on the right and anacharis on left.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Any other species of plants I should try?

This tank will be a shrimp tank with a albino bristlenose pleco so I want it to be really densely planted!!! :D

That lighting is going to be low light and you won't be able to grow DHG or Dwarf baby tears. Also Elodea and Anacharis will melt if you use liquid carbon. Crypts will do fine but you will need to use root tabs. You should look into water sprite or wisteria as they will do fine in a low light set up like you have.

That lighting is going to be low light and you won't be able to grow DHG or Dwarf baby tears. Also Elodea and Anacharis will melt if you use liquid carbon. Crypts will do fine but you will need to use root tabs. You should look into water sprite or wisteria as they will do fine in a low light set up like you have.

Any good carpeting plants rivercats?

Hehe I'm not rivercats but I'll chime in. IMO, dwarf baby tears is the prettiest. It stays lower than DHG, and requires much less maintenance. But all carpeting plants require high lighting.

Here is a picture of the lighting. The top bar is the normal light. The lower bar is the moonlight light. I don't use it and was thinking of replacing it with another light. To increase lighting, any pointers?

You will probably have to look up par values on the light as watts for LEDs are way different than that of other lights. What brand and model light is it? Google it and see what you can find. Most likely the store at sold it to you has no idea.

With that low of light 4 leaf clover, Marsilea quadrifolia would work and I've grown Dwarf chain swords under low led lighting.

Just out of curiosity what was the growth rate on the marsilea like? Was this in one of your dry fert and glut tanks? Any problems with algae? Thanks Rivercats! :)

You could probably easily retrofit some powerful Cree LEDs into that hood if you wanted. Pretty inexpensive, too. Look on RapidLed. You would need a dimmer because they are very powerful. Enough to grow anything you want and a lot of algae.

I'll try and describe my tank at the moment. Two pieces of bogwood at the back in the middle place vertically one with anubias nana and the other with anubias nana bonsai. Underneath those two pieces is another of bogwood with java fern on it. That piece is slanted forward to give the allusion the java fern is coming out from underneath the Anubias. In the front of the tank I have two pieces of bogwood with java moss on them to act as focal points on either side. I'll upload a picture next weekend when I've got the silicone to make it permanent. This month I will be changing to eco complete. I'm already using root tabs, liquid fertiliser and liquid co2. I just need to find out my lighting. Because I don't know :( Then I will be stocking with rooting plants. Thinking of a carpet of baby dwarf tears in the front behind that a carpet of dwarf hair grass the two carpets will be separated by the two small pieces of bogwood along the sides of the tank a collection of crypts and as background plants elodea dense on the right and anacharis on left. Any advice would be appreciated. Any other species of plants I should try? This tank will be a shrimp tank with a albino bristlenose pleco so I want it to be really densely planted!!! :D

Sorry to say, but a 10g is way too small for a BN Pleco :(

Otos or Snails would be ok. A BN would likely uproot stuff in such a small tank also.

Back
Top Bottom