Planted tank cleaning Qustion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dear Stephen Rollins,

It may depend on a number of factors. If the tank is very, very, very heavily planted then the debris tends to act as fertilizer. If the gravel is very deep--more than an inch--then one should vacuum around the plants so as not to disturb but enough to get the gunk and bad things that grow in deeper gravel. And it depends on the bioloads. I have Goldfish in my 125 gallon lightly planted tank. They have a huge bioload plus one of their favorite activities is rooting up plants. Therefore my anubias and java ferns are tied to rocks and driftwood. The anacharis floats. I vacumm deeply once a week with water changes. Happier fishes.
Peace,
Chris+

revchristinejday said:
Dear Stephen Rollins,

It may depend on a number of factors. If the tank is very, very, very heavily planted then the debris tends to act as fertilizer. If the gravel is very deep--more than an inch--then one should vacuum around the plants so as not to disturb but enough to get the gunk and bad things that grow in deeper gravel. And it depends on the bioloads. I have Goldfish in my 125 gallon lightly planted tank. They have a huge bioload plus one of their favorite activities is rooting up plants. Therefore my anubias and java ferns are tied to rocks and driftwood. The anacharis floats. I vacumm deeply once a week with water changes. Happier fishes.
Peace,
Chris+

Thank you. Just the answer I was looking for :)

Back
Top Bottom