Plants and Algae Growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnlandon009

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am planning on putting in some low maintenance plants.

Two in particular are Anubias and Java Fern.

I was wondering by introducing plants to my tank, would I be more likely to get unwanted algae?

I am not planning on adding in CO2 or any fertilizers.

On the contrary, plants help to keep algae at bay by consuming excess nutrients and reducing ammonia/nitrates. They are nature's filters. However, anubias and java fern are slow growers so you'll still need to have a balance of light and clean water by your weekly pwc's. Not only do live plants help keep your tank clean, they provide an aesthetic appeal to both you and your fish.

You lights are the number one determinant of algae growth. Both of those species are very low light tolerant, so as long as you don't overdo it in the illumination department, you should be fine.

Agreed. I have high light in my 60g along with Anubias, and at first they were always covered in algae...now tho, they are perfectly healthy and have budding flowers...not sure what happened lol. I recently got cracking on the pwc's and making sure everything is running smoothly, I think the whole tank appreciated that :lol: . Anyways, Anubias and java ferns are good beginner low light plants, just do overdo the lighting as Brian and AC said and they should be fine.

There are 4 ? Or more types of Java Ferns and many types of Anubias so you can add some variety :) just remember don't cover the Rhizome.

If you decide to bend the Fertilizer rule, Consider Crypts as well. Many types and quite easy. Just add root tabs to substrate every 4-6 months or as needed.

Back
Top Bottom