Plants, CO2, and PWC's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I this is probably a dumb question that has been answered many times, but I can't seem to find a consistent answer. My general scenario is this: my 55 is heavily planted with ludwigia, swords, wisteria, crypts, dwarf sag, ricca, and my favorite Echinodorus vesuvius. I have 98 watts of t5 lighting, and I just started DIY co2 a few weeks ago. When I started the plants, I was doing 50% pwc's twice a week, and knocked that down to once a week with nitrates never getting above 20. Since I started the co2, my tap pH of 8.0 gets down to as low as 6.8 towards the end of the photo period (two 4-5 hour 'on' windows with a 4 hour 'off' window between, and an airstone on whenever the lights are off). Now when it comes to the pwc schedule I'd like to put them off as long as I can to eliminate as many ph swings as I can. Should I still do a weekly pwc? Or should I only do one when the nitrates get to 40? Should I just do smaller than 50% changes? From experience, what would all you experts recommend in my situation?

Thanks as always!

Attachments

• image-813683776.jpg
    image-813683776.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 58
  • image-2222578021.jpg
    image-2222578021.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 57
  • image-3862013414.jpg
    image-3862013414.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 64
I experienced a similar scenario, but my pH was dropping from 7.4 to 6.7....
I was concern about the famous "pH swings", but looks like my fish did not care about it, so I kept doing weekly PWC (40%) with no problems...
Just my two cents.

The general consensus about CO2-induced pH swings is they are a non-issue. In all honesty, I have seen little indication that pH is even a significant issue for most FW plants and animals beyond that fact that is is usually correlated with TDS and KH.

Also, if you had pressurized CO2, you pH wtould swing 1+ pH point every night, but no one ever sees an issue with that.

My rule of thumb is that you can never, ever hurt a FW tank with a PWC, assuming that everything else is taken care of (regular PWC, conditioner, temp).

Short answer: Don't sweat the pH.

aqua_chem said:
Short answer: Don't sweat the pH.

Perfect, thank you. What about the nitrate levels? My pwc schedule typically keeps them topped out at 10. Should I let them climb up to 30-40 for the plants and let that determine when a pwc is due? ...within reason obviously.

Back
Top Bottom