Plants for 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1997

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking to redo my 55 gallon fish tank... And I want to know some good fast growing low to medium light plants and some good carpet plants that are also fast growing and low light

I used dwarf sag for a carpet, I started with 6 stems, and after 6 months I pulled it all out and ended with probly 70+ stems. It grew like wild fire in bit over 1.2 watt per gal, Fert Co2.

Agreed, dwarf sag is about the only low to medium light ground cover (unless you use a mesh/moss setup, which is more trouble than it is worth in my opinion).

What kind of light are we talking on your tank? What kind of substrate? Are you planning on CO2 or fert of any kind? The answers to those questions will go a long way to folks helping you pick some plants that will grow well in your particular setup.

fort384 said:
Agreed, dwarf sag is about the only low to medium light ground cover (unless you use a mesh/moss setup, which is more trouble than it is worth in my opinion).

What kind of light are we talking on your tank? What kind of substrate? Are you planning on CO2 or fert of any kind? The answers to those questions will go a long way to folks helping you pick some plants that will grow well in your particular setup.

I was planing on getting Eco complete subsrate. I was going to use seachem flourish excel. I wasnt going to use co2 and I was planing on using a T8 bulb.

Riccia or dwarf baby tears will not be suitable for the setup you are planning. Both might survive in the tank, but it is doubtful you will get them to grow in a ground cover type fashion. Dwarf Baby tears are a hearty plant and will grow in a lot of conditions, but in lower light setups with no CO2 injection, they will mainly grow UP instead of OUT.

Back
Top Bottom