Plants from infected tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sssea

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello!

Firstly, a little background. I've been wanting to redo my 29 gal Goldie tank for a while, so I figured I could use some live plants! While at my favorite lfs, I was browsing their AMAZING plant selections, all of which are gorgeous and healthy...

BUT! I happened to notice some white/blue cottony growths on the few fish in their plant tanks. So my question is: Is there anyway to ensure that these plants won't infect my fish?

Any and all help is appreciated!

I believe a hydrogen peroxide dip could help. Someone with more knowledge on the situation might chime in.

Thanks! I've heard of doing dips to get rid of snails, but didn't know if that applied to any sort of fungus/bacteria as well.

Look it up further! I have no experience with it and have only read in passing. There might be a specific formula to it.

Hello!

Firstly, a little background. I've been wanting to redo my 29 gal Goldie tank for a while, so I figured I could use some live plants! While at my favorite lfs, I was browsing their AMAZING plant selections, all of which are gorgeous and healthy...

BUT! I happened to notice some white/blue cottony growths on the few fish in their plant tanks. So my question is: Is there anyway to ensure that these plants won't infect my fish?

Any and all help is appreciated!

An h2o2 dip should take care of any unwanted pests ... Be they snails or bacterial. I dip all new plants for up to a minute ... Then give a good rinsing with chlorinated tap water.

jcolon said:
An h2o2 dip should take care of any unwanted pests ... Be they snails or bacterial. I dip all new plants for up to a minute ... Then give a good rinsing with chlorinated tap water.

Is that a 50/50 mix for your dip?

Hydrogen peroxide turns into water when exposed to light or water. It takes a little bit but I think mixing it with water would void out the solution.

hydro dip

I use a gallon or a quart sized zip lock rather than a bowl, I use the stuff straight out of the bottle. add plants and lets sit for a minute or two. then I rinse in dechlorinated water for 5 mins by sitting in a bowl of it. Then into the tank, no snails in my tank so far, no yucky stuff either by this method.

Back
Top Bottom