Plants from ponds/lakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricco34

Aquarium Advice Freak
I live right by a pond and there are a lot of nice looking plants that would look good in a tank but 1) I don't know what they are, and 2) I don't know if they could bring any unwanted germs and pollute my tank. Would a good rinsing make them safe?

Take pics of what you collect and post an "ID that plant" thread. If it's an aquatic species, then a good 3% hydrogen peroxide dip should make it safe.

Texas Gulf Coast. Growing emersed in freshwater swamp, been submerged for two weeks and putting on new growth.

I've been considering doing the same thing. I know I want hydrilla, and there are other aquatic plants I think would survive in low light.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been considering doing the same thing. I know I want hydrilla, and there are other aquatic plants I think would survive in low light.

Would that be from the James River? Hydrilla invaded the Potomac years ago. I bet it would do well in a cold water setup.
Goes without saying, disinfection practices strongly suggested.

Would that be from the James River? Hydrilla invaded the Potomac years ago. I bet it would do well in a cold water setup.
Goes without saying, disinfection practices strongly suggested.

I'll more than likely end up pulling it from elsewhere, but yes we do have it on the James. There are any number of ponds and lakes that have it. I want the dense coverage a ease of growth in the tank, even if I have to trim it up often. I think my fish will be far happier with it.

We should use this thread to identify plants found in local ponds lakes.

Any guesses on the plant I posted?

Using Pond Plants

I live right by a pond and there are a lot of nice looking plants that would look good in a tank but 1) I don't know what they are, and 2) I don't know if they could bring any unwanted germs and pollute my tank. Would a good rinsing make them safe?

Hello ric...

The trick to using these plants, is duplicating the plant's original environment in your tank. Water temperature is a real issue. Typically, the water outside is much cooler than in your tank. There are other issues too. Good luck trying to use the pond plants, but I think the chances of those plants growing long term in your aquarium are slim.

If you have the time and there aren't laws against taking the plants, then give it a go.

B

I would check out the state you reside in website. There's usually info on native and invasive species.

A dip would definitely would be in order. Not because of germs but because of the other hitchhikers. Leeches, damsel fly and dragonfly larvae just to name a few. You definitely don't want the latter in your set up lol.

Back
Top Bottom