Plants in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koskiusko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm looking at getting a 100 litre (approx 25 us gallons) in the next few weeks or so, this will be holding 2 oranda goldfish, i know this is overstocked in general, but was hoping to add a small school of danios or white cloud mountain minnows, as they have a minimal bioload, and to help with the bioload I was looking at purchasing a "all ponds solution 1200if" which is a 1200 lph filter, aswell as having my current 350 lph filter sat in too, (alongside large weekly water changes(50% or so)) mainly as a way to have an instant setup on a QT/hospital tank if needed. My question on this is, if i go for a planted tank, i dont want to go high tech, so no co2, but im curious as to what lights I would need or what would a good plant selection be?

So I'm looking at getting a 100 litre (approx 25 us gallons) in the next few weeks or so, this will be holding 2 oranda goldfish, i know this is overstocked in general, but was hoping to add a small school of danios or white cloud mountain minnows, as they have a minimal bioload, and to help with the bioload I was looking at purchasing a "all ponds solution 1200if" which is a 1200 lph filter, aswell as having my current 350 lph filter sat in too, (alongside large weekly water changes(50% or so)) mainly as a way to have an instant setup on a QT/hospital tank if needed. My question on this is, if i go for a planted tank, i dont want to go high tech, so no co2, but im curious as to what lights I would need or what would a good plant selection be?

I may be setting up a similar setup very soon, here's my advice.

Lighting: chihiros a series (dimmable and ajust able height) should be fine for low-medium plants. I'd run it on setting 1-3.

Finnex planted+ could also be used.

Plants: low light plants are as followed, anubias, Java fern (all varietys), crypts (all varietys), mosses (most varietys), bacopa, hygrophila (most varietys), s repens, dwarf hairgrass (for the more experienced)

All these plants can be grown
Under low-medium light with excel. You'll also want some ferts to supply potassium and phosphate. Addition of trace elements every so often wouldn't hurt either.

Hope I've helped [emoji106]

I may be setting up a similar setup very soon, here's my advice.

Lighting: chihiros a series (dimmable and ajust able height) should be fine for low-medium plants. I'd run it on setting 1-3.

Finnex planted+ could also be used.

Plants: low light plants are as followed, anubias, Java fern (all varietys), crypts (all varietys), mosses (most varietys), bacopa, hygrophila (most varietys), s repens, dwarf hairgrass (for the more experienced)

All these plants can be grown
Under low-medium light with excel. You'll also want some ferts to supply potassium and phosphate. Addition of trace elements every so often wouldn't hurt either.

Hope I've helped [emoji106]
Thank you very much for the advice, shall be a good idea for what types of plant to look at, i dont want to go too heavy planted, but I was thinking the plants might help with the nitrate levels in the tank. I was also thinking of going for sand on the bottom aswell, am I able to plant any of those plants in sand rather than substrate?

Thank you very much for the advice, shall be a good idea for what types of plant to look at, i dont want to go too heavy planted, but I was thinking the plants might help with the nitrate levels in the tank. I was also thinking of going for sand on the bottom aswell, am I able to plant any of those plants in sand rather than substrate?

Plants like Java fern and anubias have what's called a rhizome, it's what the leaves grow off. U can't bury that in substrate so they need to be tied or glued to ornaments and rocks. Bacopa, crypt, hygro, repens can all be planted into sand. I'd suggest putting a root tab or 2 under the plants (push them all the way down to the glass)

Duckweed is great for soaking up nitrates and I'm pretty sure goldfish eat it aswell. It's a very evasive floating plant tho. They say once u add it it's there forever lol

Hello sir,

I'm new in the forum. About your concern, stem plants like java fern and anubias can also thrive even if not attached to ornaments. In my tank I have two sets of java fern on my sand. What I did, I buried the roots ONLY. Sand will hold the plant nicely just make sure you don't put them where there's a strong current. And most importantly, never Burry the rhizome of the plant.

Back
Top Bottom