Pool filter sand for a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all! I picked up some pool filter sand on a whim today. It's hth #20 silica sand (I think the same as AquaQuartz). What are your thoughts on using this in a planted tank? I also thought of mixing it with some black beauty gravel to make it have some different textures/consistency....thoughts? I am building a new angelfish biotope(ish) tank soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I thought about dirt....never tried it though. Anything specific (and cheap because dirt in a 90 gallon sounds $$$)? lol

Also do you find this grade of sand settles a bit better during PWCs and general disruptions? I have really REALLY fine black sand in my little 5 gallon and I hate it lol

I use it as a cap for flourite, I'd recommend adding some yumyum plant substr are underneath..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok sounds good. What are everyone's thoughts on mixing it either black beauty I already have to change the consistency and darken the color (just a bit)

I don't know anything about mixing it, but I will say that, yes, it definitely settles quickly after disruptions. If you rinse it really well before putting it in, it should not cloud the tank at all.

Following.

I plan on eventually getting a 20 long and moving everything in my 10 gallon to it. I haven't decided on the substrate yet. I'm leaning toward pfs since I already have plenty of it. I might put some flourite under it, but I also thought about trying only pfs and sprinkling some osmocote plus in the empty tank before adding the substrate. I do like the look of pfs, but I think I might prefer a dark substrate, so another option I'm considering is just flourite black with no sand.

I got mine for 11.50! I bought two 50 pound bags. I really wanted something neutral and natural looking. I still might add some black beauty for some color variation, so I'm going to try it on a very small scale and see if I like it :)

I just switched to a sand and rock substrate with dirt underneath, and my fish and plants seem to be responding well. Especially one of my catfishs. I also love the more natural look it provides.

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What kinds of dirt are you guys using under the sand? Is there one that would remain fairly cost effective for 90-100 gallons??

Also, over time, does it lose it's ability to hold nutrients? And when your plant things and possibly move something (or a naughty fish moves it for you) does the dirt and sand end up mixing?

Organic potting soil is used for the dirt. I bought one bag for my 29 gallon for 11 bucks at lowes and only used a quarter of it. Dirt does not visibly mix with the sand. You can bring up dirt when pulling plants up but your filter should suck it all up.

I reccomend doing about an inch of dirt and at 2-3 inches of sand. The dirt will last a long time. There are a few things that you can add to the dirt to improve it. I added laterite clay for iron that i bought on amazon ( i believe api sells it) and crushed coral as reccomended by someone ( i believe to help with the kh but not sure).

I was reading up on using dirt and a lot of people have said they don't fertilize (or do a lot less). I also read that the dirt needs to be able to breathe a bit, and that sand is so heavy and small grained that it suffocates the dirt. (I have sand)...is this true??

Yes and no. I found that when using a very fine sand gases build up in the dirt and explode the sand up and make a mess. When using pfs this does not happen because the granules are a lot bigger.

Poking the substrate with chopsticks or tweezers will often release gases before they build up.

Ok good to know. I hate that super fine sand I have in my little tank...pool filter sand does have bigger grains (which is probably why I like it lol). I'm slowly gathering materials for a new tank...thanks for everyone's help on this substrate!!

Poking the substrate with chopsticks or tweezers will often release gases before they build up.

Good to know! I am sure that wouldn't be hard during pruning to do weekly ...do you fertilize as heavily with dirt, yourselves?

And yes some people dont add anything to the dirt and they do fine. Ive tried this method in a tank and put add ins in another tank. The tank with the add ins grew a lot faster and the plants looked better. ( each tank had same lighting and plants). Its really up to you and hoe much you want to spend. To use add ins it might cost 15- 20 bucks more than not using them but imo the 15-20 bucks spent is worth it

Back
Top Bottom