Potted plants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somethingfishy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Not sure if this has been queried before, but I how do you plant 'potted' plants, do you take them out of their pots and if so do you just put them in the gravel or do you take off the 'sponge' first?

Comments welcome.
I have in previous months not been to successful with plants, , but now with a new light system arriving I hope to be able to grow better plants.

I'd like to know too!

I'd like to know too!I'm off out tommorrow to buy some green cabomba as it does well in my tank, especially as my little darlings pull unpotted plants out at the roots(grrrrr.....). The store i'm purchasing from supplies them in a type of cotton wadding. Should i repot?Also, how can i bring on red cabomba so it looks less thin and stringy?any ideas? :?:

Hi there,

I am no expert but I have seen this thread before:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=644&highlight=pot

EMS503 says;
Take it out of the plastic holder very carefully. Some leave the stuff it is planted in and others remove it. we do both depends on how fragile the root system is. The plastic will inhibit root growth the other material really wont hurt anything.

I hope this helps.

Re: I'd like to know too!

JurassicRIP said:
Also, how can i bring on red cabomba so it looks less thin and stringy?any ideas? :?:

How much light do you have? not enough light makes them do that, and Co2 will help also.

DIY Co2 is the easiest project I've ever done.

Somethingfishy said:
I have in previous months not been to successful with plants, , but now with a new light system arriving I hope to be able to grow better plants.

I presume its you're 45 gallon you're talking about ? Just asking, as I'm planning to hopefully keep live plants in that - :?

Well in all my tanks really, the 45 was due to the cichlids who kept ripping them out, as well as probably inadequate lighting? As for the rest of the tanks poor lighting I think?

But it is not the tank that makes a difference it is how they are cared for and what fish you have to keep them company. Lighting does also play a large roll!!

It is, probably just need a better globe. I was never too concerned as the fish I kept did not like plants all that much. I am not saying that all plants died, I did have some VERY healthy growers but on ly certain types of plants that were 1. cichlid hardy and 2. liked lower levels of light. I do have to lights in the tank so there should not be too difficult to grow the plants you want.

Back
Top Bottom