Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2002, 01:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Somethingfishy Send a message via Yahoo to Somethingfishy
Potted plants...

Not sure if this has been queried before, but I how do you plant 'potted' plants, do you take them out of their pots and if so do you just put them in the gravel or do you take off the 'sponge' first?

Comments welcome.
I have in previous months not been to successful with plants, , but now with a new light system arriving I hope to be able to grow better plants.

Old 11-27-2002, 03:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'd like to know too!

I'd like to know too!I'm off out tommorrow to buy some green cabomba as it does well in my tank, especially as my little darlings pull unpotted plants out at the roots(grrrrr.....). The store i'm purchasing from supplies them in a type of cotton wadding. Should i repot?Also, how can i bring on red cabomba so it looks less thin and stringy?any ideas?

Old 11-27-2002, 03:50 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78
Hi there,

I am no expert but I have seen this thread before:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...&highlight=pot

EMS503 says;
Quote:
Take it out of the plastic holder very carefully. Some leave the stuff it is planted in and others remove it. we do both depends on how fragile the root system is. The plastic will inhibit root growth the other material really wont hurt anything.
I hope this helps.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Somethingfishy Send a message via Yahoo to Somethingfishy
Thanks Targa,

That is what I was looking for.
Quickly I run and unpot my plants,
Old 11-27-2002, 04:23 PM   #5

Re: I'd like to know too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicRIP
Also, how can i bring on red cabomba so it looks less thin and stringy?any ideas?
How much light do you have? not enough light makes them do that, and Co2 will help also.

DIY Co2 is the easiest project I've ever done.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Grant R
Re: Potted plants...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethingfishy
I have in previous months not been to successful with plants, , but now with a new light system arriving I hope to be able to grow better plants.
I presume its you're 45 gallon you're talking about ? Just asking, as I'm planning to hopefully keep live plants in that -
Grant R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 04:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well in all my tanks really, the 45 was due to the cichlids who kept ripping them out, as well as probably inadequate lighting? As for the rest of the tanks poor lighting I think?

But it is not the tank that makes a difference it is how they are cared for and what fish you have to keep them company. Lighting does also play a large roll!!
Old 11-28-2002, 05:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Grant R
So the lighting isn't up to scratch in the 45gallon ?!
Grant R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 05:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is, probably just need a better globe. I was never too concerned as the fish I kept did not like plants all that much. I am not saying that all plants died, I did have some VERY healthy growers but on ly certain types of plants that were 1. cichlid hardy and 2. liked lower levels of light. I do have to lights in the tank so there should not be too difficult to grow the plants you want.

Tags
plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com