real or fake plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tjmds97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't know which way to go real or fake plants, I have never done real plants before I am wondering if they are hard to keep, or if they will make the tank dirty, and what would be the best plants to get. I am doing a cichlid tank I don't know if they will dig the plants up or not. If there's anyone out there that can help or have suggestions I would greatly appreciate it thanks in advance =)

Real Plants! Not even debatable ... IMO ... looks sooooooooo much better than the best fake (least the one's I've seen) and it's not as much work as you may hear about. It's all about the light ... that along with the size of the tank determines what type of plants you can realistically have. Start with low light plants ... see the link below for ideas. There are plenty and they do look nice.

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

The benefits, other than aesthetic are they help to control ammo and nitrates, provide cover for fish and set up territories for some fish to claim. I'm sure others with more experience will give you more info.

Cichlids will need fake. However, i know anubias plants have really tough leaves, and are really easy to keep. Buy a few and see how they do. If they get eaten, you'll have to switch to fake. Honestly... They might even rip up fake lol.

jcolon said:
Real Plants! Not even debatable ... IMO ... looks sooooooooo much better than the best fake (least the one's I've seen) and it's not as much work as you may hear about. It's all about the light ... that along with the size of the tank determines what type of plants you can realistically have. Start with low light plants ... see the link below for ideas. There are plenty and they do look nice.

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

The benefits, other than aesthetic are they help to control ammo and nitrates, provide cover for fish and set up territories for some fish to claim. I'm sure others with more experience will give you more info.

I agree with all of this... Just not in a cichlid tank. ;)

Back
Top Bottom