Riccia and mini-baby tears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
I bought 2 handfulls of Riccia and 2 pots of mini baby tears for our 40g. I split the baby tears into 4's and put 3 on logs then 1 on a slate rock wall. The one on the wall died and the batch on a far back log is looking bad. The Riccia I have in bags I made out of an old clean pair of fishnet stockings just to keep it together until I figure out what to do with it.

I think the 1 batch of baby tears died because that is a darker front corner, the other I think is dying because it is a darker back corner. So I'm thinking about moving it to the middle where it should get better lighting. From what I've read it's a medium light plant, so I'm thinking this should revive it. The other 2 that are in the middle are doing well. Any other thoughts?

My other question is about the Riccia. My idea is to lash handfulls of it to the logs using fishing line. What I want to know is will it eventually grow on the log, taking it over? That is actually what I want. I choose it over java moss because I wanted the bright green in the tank.

I don't run CO2 in the tank. Maybe eventually once I do more research. But I do use liquid ferts. For this tank I got Seachem's Flourish and I went with a mix of black sand and Activ-Flora black substrate. I do plan to get root tabs. Lighting is 2 24 inch plant/aquarium bulbs from the lighting section at Walmart. I use those same bulbs in our other tanks and the plants do great. (Except for the java ferns that thought they were going to die until I put them in the cichlid tank. Now they look great. Go firgure!)

Anyways, any thoughts on the Riccia and it growing on logs?
And does anyone think that moving the baby tears will help?

I have my baby tears in straight light under a 65w 6700k and they aren't dieing but they aren't growing much either. Interesting that yours didnt do well under dim lighting either. I just recently remade the substrate with florite and eco-complete - I also added root tabs. This was just a couple days ago though so if i see an improvement with the tabs i'll let you know. Not sure about the riccia tho.

riccia is a pain in the butt! i hate it. i tried to net it down and it breaks loose and floats all over the top of the tank. it sticks to everything.

moving the babies tears might help. they're really more of a high light plant. you have 1.2 watts per gallon, which is low light. you should shoot for 2.5 watts per gallon w co2 to really get them going.

Riccia doesn't root so if you tied it to anything, it will just keep growing into a bush until you trim it. It may spread horizontally, but it won't ever attach to the wood.

It is a pain and a mess! I had to give up on it. :)

Baby tears (Hemianthus micranthemoides) grows healthier in medium to high light with co2 and fertilizer dosing IME. I have had it in medium light with no co2 injection and no fert dosing and it grew ok....just slow and some didn't look good.

I suggest putting it in a more lighted area, spread it out a little it you haven't already and hopefully it will start to look better.

Ok, I moved the baby tears to the front of the tank where it will get more light and planted it in the substrate. Let's see if that helps perk it back up.

The riccia is a goner, didn't fair to well. Maybe a good excuse to buy some christmas moss or something along those lines. ;)

Thanks for the replies all.

justonemore is dead on about the riccia. also not sure what mini baby tears is.... maybe dwarf baby tears aka HC. if thats it its a little tricky and should be planted in the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom