Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ARon9501

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've been researching Different types of sand to use on my aquariums and most cost from a range of $20-60 for my 60g tank. That is really expensive for me, so i have also been looking for other sands I can use and I found this playsand for outdoor sandboxes and it costs $9 for 50lbs. I wanted to know if it is safe to use. If you want to look at it you can search on amazon it's called: Texas Industries #5015 50LB Sandbox Sand

You should be able to get play sand for less than that. Other options include pool filter sand, silica blasting sand, and black blasting sand, all of which will be less than $10 for 50 lbs.

Home depot should carry playsand for less than $5 for 50lbs. If you use blasting sand be cautious it is rather sharp and can be bad news for catfish loaches and fish that like to dig.

I prefer PFS (pool filter sand), it doesn't compact like PGS, a larger grain so it it stays put and it isn't sharp grained, so fish that forage have less chance of getting hurt from it.

Mr. Limpet said:
I prefer PFS (pool filter sand), it doesn't compact like PGS, a larger

Yea I think ima get the pfs, can I find this in the home depot as well?

I'd go with pool filter sand over playsand. I use playsand in some tanks and it tends to get pack down and get anaerobic pretty easily. I think PFS has more uniform grain size also. Colorquartz/estes sand is available at industrial/pool supply places if you can find one. One place local to me has colorquartz in a few different colors for .50/lb

Back
Top Bottom