Setting up a planted 10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkimbark1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I'm new to planted aquariums and i was looking to set one up.
I currently have a 30 gallon with artificial plants and i think it would be really cool to have a smaller tank with real plants.
I already have the filter and heater but i was looking for suggestions on what kind of substrate i should get, suggestions for nice looking and cheap plants, and especially what kind of lighting i should have in the tank also, anything else i should know before starting this.
thank you!

I am following this because I need to know the same thing! I have a 10g planted tank with some java ferns that are doing well in low light. But I'm ready to kick it up a notch - actually put in a real substrate etc cause they are just in the gravel for now...

Hi and welcome to the forum. It just depends on your budget and goal. Something like ecocomplete isn't too expensive and can go right in the tank. It's not a bad substrate at all, and it does have some nutrients in it to get you started, although it won't last long and will need to be supplemented (like most other substrates).

There is also the soil method, if you go this route I suggest going with mineralized topsoil rather than straight potting soil, since it knocks out the month long wait for the soil to mineralize while in the tank.

That route involves a lot more DIY, but it's well worth it and its extremely cheap. The downside is you may have algae blooms etc while the dirt is getting established, but generally there is enough nutrients in a soil based tank to not even need any soil supplementation like root tabs.

As far as lighting goes, the cheapest way to do it with a 10g is to use a stock hood that has screw-in bulb fixture. Replace the bulbs with CFLs in the daylight range (~6500k), they make some narrow ones specific for aquariums and they can be found at walmart or a chain pet store, it costs around $10 dollars for both bulbs.

As far as what plants to use, if you get a good substrate and lighting in there the choice is up to you, you will be able to grow most plants so just figure out what you like and then we can give you more info if you narrow it down a little.

Last edited:
I have been using eco complete and it has been great! All of my plants have been thriving and even the more difficult ones are doing well and growing new leaves. I have pretty decent lighting so that could also be why te plants are doing well

Thank you for all of the answers!
Can anyone suggest some plants that I should look into buying?
Also I heard its best to buy from other hobbyists but if anyone has any website suggestions I'd really appreciate it as well :)

Hi there,

Water wisteria, hornwort, and anacharis/elodea are all good starter plants that will grow fast :)

Check out Liveaquaria.com, Aquabid (make sure to check the sellers reputation) or even the Classifieds here on Aquarium Advice, they have some really cool stuff :)

Check out the PlantGeek Plant Guide. It's a great starting point for researching plants, figuring out which ones you like and the care they require. Make sure to avoid the ones listed in the non Aquatics section.

Back
Top Bottom