Shipping Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
Ok so I have a bunch of growth now, and getting ready to do a big trimming. One of the forum members on here is interested in me shipping the clippings to her instead of discarding them. What is the best way to do this considering the cold weather?

I just received a shipment of a few plants from Singapore, and after 14 days of shipping, they made it ok here just wrapped in wet newspaper in a ziploc bag... but I don't know if they went through any of the cold or not.

Anyone with experience shipping plants have any pointers?

Thanks!

Generally I like to check the weather forecast on both ends, and if it's below 30 degrees I wait to ship. If the weather is going to be close to 30 degrees, then I'll still ship, but include one of those hand warmers to try to keep the temperature up.

Yeah chances are not good for close to 30... plants would be going from Phoenix to Maine. We might have to wait a month or 2...

yeah, wrap them up with newspaper or a paper towel and send them off. aslong as the weathers decent.

How long do you expect the shipment to take?

Just overnight it.

I ship mine nearly dry. Clip, remove from tank, insert in fish bag, whatever water comes with them is what they get. I've found that wrapping them in newspaper or otherwise can cause them to need longer to recover.

I do, however, use heat packs when I ship in this weather (just shipped something yestrday, matter of fact). I get heat packs from Ken's Fish.

I've got some little heat packs. Hope they hold out.
19738-albums313-picture2481.jpg

Here is what I am going to send. Gonna leave it floating in the tank tonight, and pack it all up tomorrow morning before heading to the Post Office. We will see if it arrives ok. I am just gonna put it in a ziploc with a moist paper towel, and put the heat pack in between the 2 bags. Hopefully that will work. Thanks for the great advice as always!!

I ship mine nearly dry. Clip, remove from tank, insert in fish bag, whatever water comes with them is what they get. I've found that wrapping them in newspaper or otherwise can cause them to need longer to recover.

I do, however, use heat packs when I ship in this weather (just shipped something yestrday, matter of fact). I get heat packs from Ken's Fish.
heat packs are a major key. i ship mine nearly dry too. just damp. i do the same putting them in the bag i even go so far as making sure to get out the extra water.
create a barrier with newspaper or something between the heatpack and the plants, else it will cook them.
also a great idea. i tend to wrap the heat pack in newspaper too this seems to make it last longer. i been buying them by the case since i and others i know use so many. i get them for like 1.40 for 72 hours if you need a couple let me know. one bad thing about kensfish.com is i can never just check out with a couple times..... never once have i spent less then $100.

Thanks, will keep this in mind for next time. I put a 48 hr heat pack in that I had left over from my days of ice fishing...

I shipped them almost dry, just whatever water came in with the plants as Neil suggested. Hopefully the arrive ok for her, would hate to have wasted the money she spent on the shipping.

Back
Top Bottom