Stonewort, Rigid Hornwort, or Soft Hornwort?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connor31556

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I wanted some taller plants for the shrimp to hide in in my betta tank and I remembered a local lake was having problems with what I assumed was hornwort so I decided to go over there and grab some instead of going to my LFS and buying it, I got it, got back, and cleaned them with a mix of vinegar and water and planted it later that day with some going in my 5g betta tank and the rest thrown in my 20g community, and I went away to school for about 2 weeks before I came home today for the weekend. To my surprise, the plants in my 5g exploded (in a good way) as I got a better light a few weeks prior) and the ones in my 20g are doing fine however even though the ones in the 5g grew extremely tall they really didn't fill out like I hoped, leading me down a rabbit hole trying to figure out which type of "wort" this actually was. After searching online, I really couldn't find anything that gave me a definite answer on what it was, so I come here asking if anyone here can confirm what type of "wort" I have.20230203_171513.jpg20230203_171523.jpg20230203_171528.jpg20230203_171548.jpg

Congrats on your plants doing so well! You'll definitely receive plant ID info on this site.

I'm just responding to say that the rule for too-tall plants, both in and out of water, is to pinch off the top just below the height you want it. It will leaf out and grow fuller below that.

On many plants, the top stalk you removed can be planted to make a new one grow. If you removed 6" or more, you can get 2 plants out of this. Strip off the foliage at the bottom and sink the stalk as deep as possible into substrate. It may grow, it may not. You may get some melt before it begins to regenerate.

Back
Top Bottom