Tank maintenance question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lordheavyc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started this tank February. Since I started I've been doing weekly 30% WC. Both because the phosphate level were getting really high and because the tank genuinely looked dirty. Plus I had algae issues that needed addressing. After making a few changes, namely reducing the photo period and adding some floating plants. So here I am a little over two weeks removed from the last WC and the tank looks great still. All my tests come back perfect. Also not seeing any algae growth. So I'm wondering. How long should I go before doing another WC? I like that it looks like the eco system is doing well on its own and would hate to upset the new balance with new water. This might seem like a strange question by my tank hasn't had this kind of stability ever. So I'm kind of perplexed.
a07907c569e4c0e033bf9b68243aaea0.jpg

I started this tank February. Since I started I've been doing weekly 30% WC. Both because the phosphate level were getting really high and because the tank genuinely looked dirty. Plus I had algae issues that needed addressing. After making a few changes, namely reducing the photo period and adding some floating plants. So here I am a little over two weeks removed from the last WC and the tank looks great still. All my tests come back perfect. Also not seeing any algae growth. So I'm wondering. How long should I go before doing another WC? I like that it looks like the eco system is doing well on its own and would hate to upset the new balance with new water. This might seem like a strange question by my tank hasn't had this kind of stability ever. So I'm kind of perplexed.

Just keep doing your 30% weekly changes. If the problem occurs again try 50% per week.

Generally people do 50-70% per week [emoji106]

Sounds like the tank is starting to mature. Just keep up with water changes as stated above. Water changes remove waste buildup and add essential nutrients and buffers to help maintain stability in the tank. I can really tell when I miss a water change in my tank. Things just don't look as "alive".

Hello lor..

The problem with smaller water changes is, you leave most of the old, polluted water in the tank. Just because your water tests low for nitrogen, doesn't mean the water is good enough to sustain the fish and plants. Water that's constantly run through a filter loses minerals and oxygen the fish and plants need for good health. Remove and replace most of tank water weekly. The more water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier the tank.

B

That's assuming your water is really very nutritious to begin with. Water changes work well for ppl who don't have plants but I get better results with plants and more conservative water changes. I also only use spring water. If you're nitrogen test comes back blood red then yeah change the water but where you finally got the levels right where you want and you're getting the results you want I would just keep doin what you've been doing to get to this point. What works for somebody else might not work for you. It's about what you can personally and indefinitely maintain. Changing any routine upsets the balance. And seriously plants are awesome. I can keep so many more fish now and they're all breeding all over the place it's crazy

Hello lor..

The problem with smaller water changes is, you leave most of the old, polluted water in the tank. Just because your water tests low for nitrogen, doesn't mean the water is good enough to sustain the fish and plants. Water that's constantly run through a filter loses minerals and oxygen the fish and plants need for good health. Remove and replace most of tank water weekly. The more water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier the tank.

B

+1

If the 30% weekly water changes are working and keeping the tank clean, stay on that schedule. There is nothing better for a planted aquarium than stability. As Bert mentioned above, if you run into problems, up the percentage of water that you change. Plants love water changes, and it removes those nasty built-up organics that accumulate--the biological filtration can only do so much. Since it has been two weeks since a water change, I'd do a larger one.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. So let me just say that I vacuum sand every change and I started dosing excel last change. Stupid me though didn't read directions very well and only did the initial dose but haven't continued lol. So if think I'll start over with a new WC. I've always done just the 30% weekly with two bigger changes since February. Those ones were closer to 60%. Mainly to remove and rearrange plants. I'll post a picture of my latest test results but the only test that's normally ever high has been Phos. And even this was pretty good especially for my tank. I use public water that comes from lake near by and luckily my town doesn't clorinate. I still use prime though just in case.

Oh and not sure if this matters but...I changed the water flow from the filter. After I got the floating plants I didn't want them being thrown everywhere including under the water so I diverted the water using a clean plastic water bottle truck I saw online. It sends theater down into the tank instead of along the surface. I know the betta seems to love this change but can this have an effect on what my tank is doing?

Temp 82
pH 7.0
No2 0.0
NH3/NH4 0.0
No3 10 mg/l
Po .25 mg/l

+1

If the 30% weekly water changes are working and keeping the tank clean, stay on that schedule. There is nothing better for a planted aquarium than stability. As Bert mentioned above, if you run into problems, up the percentage of water that you change. Plants love water changes, and it removes those nasty built-up organics that accumulate--the biological filtration can only do so much. Since it has been two weeks since a water change, I'd do a larger one.

Hello fish...

Yes, I've heard this for many years and I've found this is really an excuse for slacking off on the water changes. If you're getting out all the gear for changing out the tank water, spend a couple of more minutes and change out most of it. The extra time it takes is really minimal and if you think about what the fish do in the tank water, they'd really do much better if you removed and replaced most of their water every week.

But, you're the tank keeper.

B

Back
Top Bottom