The lighting dilemna..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deminox

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got my goldfish in their new 40gal tank ( dual filters dual airpump, frequent gravel vacs and low to moderate WCs for 2 fancytails, they're fine. They aren't too big for it yet.) a nice LED lighting kit for $110. Its 1500 lumens, bear in mind this is a 40gal long tank, so its lower in height than my 29g was.

Ignoring the very very base rule of thumb of 1watt per gallon low light, 5 watt per gallon medium, and 10 high light, as LEDs typically have a 1 to 6 watt ratio, and there are so many other variables to light quality that honestly that whole rule is rubbish, I want the best lighting for my goldfish that is also plant friendly.

The objective isn't for the plants to thrive. Goldfish love to root around in the substrate and nibble. But the objective is for the plants not to brown and die quickly as I dont feel like the amonia spikes from decaying matter is worth it. I also know my goldfish at least hate bright light and try to hide. I plan on getting some big leafy plants for them to take cover under, maybe some swords.

I can play with the spectrum a lot, and my goldfish seem most comfortable in a murky greenish blue with occasional waves of warmer tones. Definately not going to be good light for plants. My solution is I'm working on making a cave, more like a shelf, they can stay under on one side of the tank when the light needs to be brighter for the plants.

I must sound like im rambling. But given the setup, and given the intent that ill likely be replacing any plants every 6 to 8 months, but want them to at least last that long (my current dying banana plants did well for 8 months), any recomendations on what spectrum light would be best during the lowlight settings when I dont have the bright whites on? The blue green sure does help grow algea for my nerites to eat, but plants are a different ball game. Remember, I dont need the plants to last forever. They're in with goldfish afterall.

Sent from my VS986 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Try a Current USA light try ebay and they have refurb lights there is a remote control and you can learn how to adjust for different light colors and brightness - I would go with the next size up though because you will have better light coverage 36"-48" .

The led lights go the length of the smaller number and the arm brackets that hold it above the tank stretch out 6" on each side to hold on. It really is better to have the led lights across the whole width of the tank. They are amazing and the remote option is fun. There are different options available and you may want to check out which one you would prefer.

I would pick RGB leds. Not just white and blue leds. The one below is white and blue i think. Up to you though.
4001 B Current USA 24" 36" Satellite Freshwater LED from Refurbished | eBay

Back
Top Bottom