TheresaM's first tank build thread: Spec 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wwhhhaaaaattt!

Ohh stop it you... we rescued you from the pits of floramax purgatory:p have you seen fresh's tank?? That's what I thought.. i have pfs in my gbr tank.. make it work though huh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ohh stop it you... we rescued you from the pits of floramax purgatory:p have you seen fresh's tank?? That's what I thought.. i have pfs in my gbr tank.. make it work though huh?

Its all good I was talking low to medium tech in the beginning and you rescued me from that also.

Its all good I was talking low to medium tech in the beginning and you rescued me from that also.

We all need to be recused at some point:
42aZIEw.png
But that was a long, long, time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
The EC kind of fell into my lap ($9 bag local Petco). I'm milking it. I've not tried the Aqua soil type substrates yet (hole nuvah level) but I feel there's no turning back after that. I only wish EC had a more consistent color like the Tahitian moon sand. I think the Fluval brand substrates are more attractive than EC.
For this size, if it were me, I would consider one of the Aqua soil (ADA, Brightwell) substrates.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I did Floramax years ago when it was 'the' substrate for planted tanks, all I remember from that adventure was a lot of dust....

We all need to be recused at some point: But that was a long, long, time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
The EC kind of fell into my lap ($9 bag local Petco). I'm milking it. I've not tried the Aqua soil type substrates yet (hole nuvah level) but I feel there's no turning back after that. I only wish EC had a more consistent color like the Tahitian moon sand. I think the Fluval brand substrates are more attractive than EC.
For this size, if it were me, I would consider one of the Aqua soil (ADA, Brightwell) substrates.

Oh that's great! Reminds me of when my kids still lived with their father and I bought them a 10g. I pretty much let them choose everything...stock was good but wow that tank was a headache to look at :lol:

Hey!!! I remember that little gem:D blahhhhhh... still wondering how that unicorn got in my kitchen??

Well I had to go browsing and now I feel really, really old. These were my kids two tanks back in 2004! The betta tank belonged to my oldest son, he'll be celebrating his 22nd birthday this Friday :hide:

img_3189239_0_41e5c436cde1f045bc754bd77bd15987.jpg

And the 10g my 3 girls put together:

img_3189239_1_2e94545a9278d306d26dc55c522d1490.jpg

I feel like if they are for the kids/are their tanks it kinda doesn't count against you. I think every kid wants tons of colors and decorations like that. And sometimes you just have to go with it to stop a temper tantrum before it happens

I feel like if they are for the kids/are their tanks it kinda doesn't count against you. I think every kid wants tons of colors and decorations like that. And sometimes you just have to go with it to stop a temper tantrum before it happens

Very true, plus the tanks really, really annoyed my ex :brows:

Ordered the Eco Complete. Still tossing around the idea of capping with the Tahitian Moon Sand.

Sealant on the filter bypass is definitely dry. Should I try sanding it down or leave it as is? Once I decide that I'm going to put some water in to make sure it's definitely sealed.

img_3189329_0_9c6cf63ce15c96aac62fdee74a632189.jpg

I know it's 'only' a 5g but it still looks monster sized compared to my current badis tank!

If you're going to try and remove you'll need a straight edge razor, sanding will not cut it..

I would leave it as is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Going to leave it as is. Will get some water in there later to see if I got a good seal.

If you don't do sand or dirt you really don't need that plugged off. With just the ecco complete it will be fine.

EDIT: if you are putting shrimp in I would leave it plugged.

If you don't do sand or dirt you really don't need that plugged off. With just the ecco complete it will be fine.

Didn't do it because of that. There's a similar opening in the Evolve 4 and shrimp kept deciding to adventure into it. Eventually hoping to have both badis and shrimp fry in this tank so I just wanted it closed off, easier now than later.

Are you planning on putting a mesh or screen over the upper filter intake?

Back
Top Bottom