TheresaM's first tank build thread: Spec 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All the female badis have been moved into the tank, just want to work on hardscape before I move the males. I ordered two 'sample' pieces of manzanita wood that arrived today...enough to fill quite a few tanks! Seriously, the smaller piece is 19" long/tall and 12" across at the widest point.

img_3206954_0_fb8d6e60247defc31edfbec3f1cc8a7a.jpg

I really like the simple look of just the rocks and plants so the big question is should I add some of the manzanita? Excuse the messy plants...while I like the EC I'm having a difficult time keeping the dwarf sag in the substrate with the snails and shrimp :nono:

img_3206954_1_9f4a3e36fb02008496d5fbcc7425310b.jpg

Any other thoughts, suggestions, opinions are very much welcomed!

Last edited:
Try toothpicks with the sag? Kinda make an x over them. Sometimes it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Terrific tank Theresa! I've got one myself I'm planning on going high tech with a nice school of pheonix or chili rasboras or scarlet badis.
Ive got a question for you, are you using the filter internals as it comes stock? I'm talking about the bulky piece of black sponge with the two small packets one with the black pellets whos name have completely left my mind and the white bio balls.

Terrific tank Theresa! I've got one myself I'm planning on going high tech with a nice school of pheonix or chili rasboras or scarlet badis.
Ive got a question for you, are you using the filter internals as it comes stock? I'm talking about the bulky piece of black sponge with the two small packets one with the black pellets whos name have completely left my mind and the white bio balls.

Carbon...... I replaced the carbon with another bio bag when I had the spec. The ac 30 one fits it.

Time flies...or Flys?? Anyways.. tank looks great! I pushed the plants way down and tried to get a few chunks of substrate in the crown area to create a little friction.... if that makes sense?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The micro rasboras went in last night. With then openness of the tank and current lack of plants I thought they'd find a corner and hide but no, they're all over the place! Nice schoolers too.

img_3207172_0_a3abe921b81b03ac8b9cd846bd4ce269.jpg

I really like the simple, clean look of the tank so far...starting to think I might go that route with the plants.

Hi Theresa! I love your tank, especially the Rasboras, aren't they so cute?!? And they seem like a great fish for a tank on the smaller side.

I'm following along! :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom