Tiny bubbles???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNamelessPoet

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I did a blackout last week for 3.5-4 days due to MASSIVE algae problem (DIY C02 malfunction, all fixed now)
I removed the co2 when I did the blackout and have since put it back (waitied 24 hours to be sure everything looked stable) Now I notive the tiny bubbles and didnt think much of it. Well now there are LOTS of them.. and I mean LOTS of them. (as I sit here my snail just pulled up a plant... the little jerk lol) I have a pretty heavily planted tank (I think it is anyway) The most recent picture I have thats cropped is from 6/16, there is actualy much more growth.

Now I would say in every 2'X 2" block of water there is aprox 2-5 bubbles... These bubbles are MAYBE the size of the tip of a lin and are small enough to make me wonder at 2st if there were bubbles or something floating in the water. Definatly bubbles. I got nervous thinking maybe a c02 problem but the fish are all breathing fine and the c02 is in 1 corner of the tank and the bubbles are a little bigger... plus this is VERY even over the entire tank? is this o2 (or just O?) from the plants I have groundcover over at least 70% probably more like 80%+ of the tank which includes java moss and Blyxa Japonica with a 3.25 wpg setup. DIY CO2 with 1 2 Liter bottle with 4+ cups water, 2 cups sugar and ~1 teaspoon yeast (lasts about 2 weeks sometimes 3 tho by the 3rd it gets kinda weak) with a chopstick difuser :D. Also it seams maybe once every minute there is 1 larger bubble, not in the same place ever really, that comes up which is about the size of a droplet of water
I have a small snail "outbreak" if that helps.

Levels
0/0/40 (I know higher than normal usualy I am around 25-30 but with the blackout the plants didnt soak any up. I generaly have to ADD the nitrates once a week to keep it at around 25-40... these #'s are from saturday night and I will take them again tomorrow. i DID ad liquid ferts tonight but as I said b4 the bubbles were there b4 I did that.

Sorry for teh long post but I wanted to get every bit of info I have into it.

Attachments

• 6-16-2009.jpg
    6-16-2009.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 177
I didnt notice before but yes. cant see any on the "grass" on the bottom but in the moss definatly and on most of the other plants yes....

so its O2?
If it is O2... how long will it make this many bubbles... I mean its crazy Ihave never seen that... was it maybe storing whatever fertz it had until the light came back on?

Sounds like a classic case of pearling. Basically your plants have saturated the aquarium with oxygen to the point where it can't absorb anymore, so you get lots of bubbles. It's a sign of healthy happy plants.

So I dont have to do anything :D it just means a well balanced ecosystem right :D

thats what it sounds like to me. just keep that diy co2 up and running. i would change it out sooner than later so the co2 and ph levels stay more constant.

i am going to guess before you were lacking a fert in the water. now that you did a black out the plants having been using them up. the one you were low on is now there. the plants are using them up growing and pearling. also as a side note ripped leafs will simulate pearling when its not really doing so.

Back
Top Bottom