Too much CO2? Bubbles coming out of my plants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have bubbles in my tank everywhere, mainly on the undersides of the leaves of my plants, but also some floating around the water column. I don't know if it's just CO2 bubbles or if the plants are pearling, or what is going on. When you look closely, the plants area actually bubbling out, very consistently. 3 days ago I broke off the tops of my Ludwigia to replant them, and today the tops are pumping out bubbles, about 1 every 1-2 seconds. I noticed some other plants doing it as well, but mainly the top of the Ludwigia.

For my CO2 source, I'm using the RedSea unit. I don't turn it off at night, and run an HOB filter on the back.

Is this a sign that I have too much CO2? What is causing the bubbles to leave my plants? I have been trying to get hold of a freshwater test kit, but my local petsmart has been out, and my nearest LFS is 45 minutes away. I have no way to measure my pH. But I do have a CO2 test in the Tetra test kit, but have been told that's not accurate.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

thats a sign of healthy plants. the bubbles u see coming out is the oxygeb that the plants are producing. u wil get pearling quite ofter. sounds like a healthy happy tank to me :)

Streaming: If the bubbles come out of the plants in a steady stream, it's called streaming. Streaming is usually a sign of injury to a plant. It's common after pruning and can also occur if a fish causes some damage.

Pearling: Bubbles that appear at a slower rate and gradually build to a size where they escape the plant, is pearling. This is the sign of healthy, happy plants.

False Pearling: Pearling that occurs right after a waterchange, is actually false pearling since the water being added to the tank is usually highly oxygenated.

So if you aren't experiencing streaming, and the pearling isn't right after a water change, then your plants are giving you a nice thank you for the excellant care.

Cool. Thanks guys! I am experiencing the streaming definitley, and maybe the pearling too. I will have to take a picture and see what you plant gurus think. Its been a week or so since I last did a water change, so that's not it. I guess I'm pearling...a lot!

Back
Top Bottom