Trimming Wisteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have little shoots that appear to be like roots coming off my wisteria. I'm guessing that maybe thats where to trim the plant and then replant the trimmings. Am I right? Will my plant thats been trimmed then just get new growth where I trimmed it? Do I just stick to part thats been taken off into the substrate?

Water wisteria

Good morning...

Water wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) is a favorite of mine. That one and Pennywort. Anyway, I just wait until the branches have several, long roots in a section and use a sharp-bladded scissors and clip a little below the roots.

If you plant it in the substrate, you'll need medium light, close to 2 watts of light per gallon of tank volume. If not, the bottom branches won't get enough light and will die, leaving you with a long plant with branches just at the top. Not very pretty.

If you float it, it begins to grow across the top of the tank and the length of the plant gets good light.

B

Yes the roots will still grow down as it floats and then when they are healthy looking you can plant it or just leave it floating. I like to leave some floating because it gives fry a hiding place and the rest of the fish something to nibble on

I had mine grow roots up the stem so I cut and planted the trimming but the part of the trimming that I planted below the substrate died. Who knows.

Mrduna01 said:
I had mine grow roots up the stem so I cut and planted the trimming but the part of the trimming that I planted below the substrate died. Who knows.

The same happens to me if I do not let the trimming root first. I move them to a "farm" tank and leave the trimmings there floating. They grow roots quickly, and then I plant them in my "pretty" tank. Otherwise the nonrooted parts rot and it makes me sad :(

gabysapha said:
The same happens to me if I do not let the trimming root first. I move them to a "farm" tank and leave the trimmings there floating. They grow roots quickly, and then I plant them in my "pretty" tank. Otherwise the nonrooted parts rot and it makes me sad :(

Interesting. The one that did that to me had roots and the roots are still alive but the stem is rotten.

Mrduna01 said:
Interesting. The one that did that to me had roots and the roots are still alive but the stem is rotten.

:( maybe the stem was damaged when it was planted?

Any part if wisteria that I plant grows roots no problem. Even if I leave a leaf floating it will start to grow roots! I usually cut it somewhere on the stem and stick the stem in the substrate and it is good to go. I don't really cut at any specific point, it seems to just grow like crazy.

My fish actually dug up a couple clippings today. Maybe ill let them float and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom