Trying something different

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tank is doing very well so far, no algea issues of any kind and the water is crystal clear. I'm doing something different in this tank. It's been running for a month and a week. It has 40 ppm CO2, 36 wts CF6700k + 15wts T6 10000k. Pretty high light. I do 1-25% water change once a week. 10 neon tetras, 2 ottos. 1 AC mini HOB filter. Whats different? I have not dosed this tank with a single fert. Not once. How long can it go on looking this good and with this kind of growth? Were going to find out. :twisted:

Just an update shot of the tank tonight. I am very happy with this tank so far, especially the HC. It is spreading exactly how I'd hoped it would, better than in my 20. I added a new plant to the left rear corner, Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata "Cuba" Put a bit of this plant in my 20 as well, see how it does in each tank. Still not dosing any ferts, but will probably start soon. Been reading others posts and Plantbrain has talked some sense into me. Low or no NO3 is just asking for trouble, sooner or later.

Hello all, I've been on holidays this week and thought I would post an update of the tank. I ran CO2 into the AC mini while I was away in case the bubble ladder clogged, everything worked well, tank was in good shape when I got home. The HC has pretty much covererd the substrate, still a couple of bare spots, not bad for just under 2 months. Moved the Samolus valerandi to the back, took the Bacopa out as it grew way to fast and big for this tank. Got a couple of stems of Rotala sp Vietnam and Ammania bonsai(thanks czcz) in this tank as well, they are just starting to catch. Put in a couple of small Yo Yo loaches as snails are starting to get out of control, also dosed this tank for the first time tonight as I noticed some browny, black algea starting. Here is the tank tonight.

looks awesome! I could stare at that tank for hours. I haven't had much luck with carpet plants in my 55gal, and the 'scaping suffers for it. This tank shows the importance of a nice thick foreground carpet.

hmmm....maybe the 10g I just bought for a FOWLR would be better as another planted tank????

Just a quick update, the HC is done. It has covered the tank, front to back, now it's getting thick! Having a small algea outbreak, probably from not dosing soon enough. Nothing magor yet, kinda greenish black, you can see it on the E tennelus. The Yo yo says hello!

Attachments

• picture_694_197.jpg
    picture_694_197.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 54
  • picture_690_211.jpg
    picture_690_211.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 51
If the HC gets too thick the bottoms will rot and the top will float off to the surface.Great tank that sea of HC is dazzling.Where you planning on doing an iwagumi set-up?

Not sure what I'm doing with this tank now, iwagumi was the original idea. I was focusing on getting the HC happening, now it's pretty much done. I have noticed the HC in my 20 gallon lifting slightly in the corners. I grabbed the middle section and pulled, it is still attatched firmly. It's been in there since Jan. It's over an inch thick right across the front. HC spreads like crazy, I've noticed when it runs out of room it starts to grow on top of itself, probably stops depending on the substrate for anchorage. Makes sense the bottoms could start to rot, then the whole plant will lift. Yikes! Thanks for the heads up, will keep an eye on it.

My loaches are jealous of your loaches. :)

Small update, nothing magor going on in this tank. I put a small fluval submersible filter in this tank instead of the AC mini. I am getting better CO2 levels now, less surface aggitation. Nice clean water, better current as well. Been fighting a weird brownish black algea, you can see it on all the plants and rocks. It's been around for a few weeks now. Hopefully the higher CO2 and better current with the new filter will help kill it off. :)

Attachments

• picture_787_176.jpg
    picture_787_176.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 89
Thanks guys. :) Jchillin, lol, your tanks are pretty smokin as well! Certain plants I can grow well, others melt quick. I only show you guys the ones that do well for me! HC, lucky enough, is one of them. I moved three small stems of Ludwigia arcuata into this tank that all died off in my 20. It is starting to do well. Same water, same dosing, slightly different lighting. Odd. I am sending some HC out to some members soon, If you want to try it let me know, got to thin this tank out a bit. Don't want floating HC again.

Back
Top Bottom