Ugh snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magicmarymac

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well… I switched both of my tanks, (12 and 36), over to planted, and now I have a bazillion tiny snails and snail eggs. A friend recommended a clown loach, but my Cory are breeding and there is at least one baby. I understand that assassin snails are an option, but both tanks have one mystery snail each.

Oh, and the eggs are not from the mystery snails, i had those once, these are tiny little spots on the tank, and those spots come right back within hours.

Any suggestions? Please? And thank you.

Mary

You can try a blanched piece of lettuce overnight then pull out in the morning take the snails off get rid of the snails put it or new one in repeat also make sure not overfeeding thatll cause a population boom

Also, keep a container of water by the tank and when you see a bunch of snails on the glass, net them out and throw them in the container for easy disposal. You can get rid of lots this way.

Well… I switched both of my tanks, (12 and 36), over to planted, and now I have a bazillion tiny snails and snail eggs. A friend recommended a clown loach, but my Cory are breeding and there is at least one baby. I understand that assassin snails are an option, but both tanks have one mystery snail each.

Oh, and the eggs are not from the mystery snails, i had those once, these are tiny little spots on the tank, and those spots come right back within hours.

Any suggestions? Please? And thank you.

Mary
I had the same thing happen and ended up with a 140 gallon covered in the little pest snails! YOU WANT THE LITTLE YELLOW AND BROWN ASSASSIN SNAILS! They are amazingly effective and they wont bother a big guy like your mystery snail. I had those too and they were fine. Cleared my tank out in a fairly short time.

Assassin Snails

I cannot keep up with these horrible "junk" snails by trapping, collecting, or (((shudder))) squishing. I tried all of these methods. One problem is the depth of my 36 versus the length of my arms. I wound up with bruises!

Puffers and loaches eat babies, among other problems, so it looks like I will hire some assassins.

Not a happy thought.

The funny thing is that the first time I saw Assassin snails at Petsmart and they told me what they did I thought it was an infestation of an evil species.

Good grief.

Mary

I had trouble with snails in my tank too what I did was I took everything out (Decore gravel everything just not the fish ) and let it sit in the sun for one week and that cleared up my problem but that won't work if u have live plants cause u can't let it sit in the sun hope I helped out

I pick mine out with Fluval tongs I got on amazon.com. I made the mistake of ADDING ramshorns snails to my tank because I though they were cool. Big mistake. 150 snails later and I'm still picking them out nearly every other day. The population is definitely under control now though.

i have two botias in my planted tank that quickly took care of my snail problem before it got started. I just added plants that had snails on them, i'm sure some hid good, but my botias are effective hunters.

Assassin Snails

I cannot keep up with these horrible "junk" snails by trapping, collecting, or (((shudder))) squishing. I tried all of these methods. One problem is the depth of my 36 versus the length of my arms. I wound up with bruises!

Puffers and loaches eat babies, among other problems, so it looks like I will hire some assassins.

Not a happy thought.

The funny thing is that the first time I saw Assassin snails at Petsmart and they told me what they did I thought it was an infestation of an evil species.

Good grief.

Mary

The assassin snails will take care, just have patience, because it is going to take them like 3 weeks before you can start to see the good results.

Agreed, assassin snails worked miracles on my 125. Have 3 yoyo loaches too.

Progress, sorta, lol

I went to a new Mom & Pop LFS to buy a "hit squad" of assassins and wound up with three zebra botia loaches instead. That was less than a week ago and now there are very few snails left. This is in the 36.

I am attempting to hand pick them in the 12. So far so good with that too. Much easier to reach in there!

Because I had planned to move assassins into the 36 I had moved the one medium sized cream colored mystery snail into the 12 with the other (huge) black mystery snail. This morning I found eggs. Sigh.

The last time eggs were laid, it was in the same exact spot.

Attachments

• image-842324041.jpg
    image-842324041.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image-2390065485.jpg
    image-2390065485.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 82
  • image-3420772631.jpg
    image-3420772631.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 78
The Zebra loaches

Very pretty, but when they are done cleaning up I will be giving them to a friend as they get too large for my tank. Then I will get assassins.

(For the 36 of course, as the 12 has mystery snails.)

Thank you all!

Attachments

• image-2268266055.jpg
    image-2268266055.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 83
I pick mine out with Fluval tongs I got on amazon.com. I made the mistake of ADDING ramshorns snails to my tank because I though they were cool. Big mistake. 150 snails later and I'm still picking them out nearly every other day. The population is definitely under control now though.

Yea, when all my baby snails started hatching I was also excited to see ramshorns.

I thought the zebras maxed out at 4 inches. Seems like they would be fine in a 36gal. They're so pretty!

Assassins AND Loaches?

I'm wondering if anyone has tanks with both, and the assassins (mostly/somewhat) survive?

Back
Top Bottom