Un-Graveled...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hindsight...

I've got a 55g tank that I'm in the process of planting. Everything seems to be going just fine (with the exception of a small brown algae bloom:confused:).

My question is this: Should I change to a different substrate? Is that even possible without taking everything out and starting over? :eek:

If the ends justify the means, I'm willing to do the work, I'm just worried about stressing the fish. :fish2:

Has anybody ever converted a stocked community tank from gravel to something else? Is it worth it, or should I just go with what I have, and use root tabs, etc...

:thanks:

I've switched from pea gravel to playsand, to Ecocomplete in a fully stocked 30g long. Each time I removed the fish before swapping the substrate. It's really up to you what you want to do with the substrate. If you aren't happy with it, swap it out. Only takes a few hours to do.

What substrate do you currently have and what are you looking to switch to?

If you're looking to do a full switch, it's best to remove the fish, then do a PWC afterwards as you will stir up a lot debris. You could switch it in sections, like a 1/3 at a time, but if you can do it in one shot, I'd say do so.

I've got your typical PetSmart white gravel. Surprisingly, I like how it looks now that I've scaped it a bit. I am more wondering from a long-term plant nutrients standpoint. I've got about 15 plants in there now (variuos anubias, 1 onion plant, 1 Java fern, 3 Wisteria, several Cryptocoryne Parva in a bunch, and 1 Amazon Sword).

I'd like to add some moss in a couple of spots, then let everything grow in...

If I need to change it, Id rather do sooner than later...

No need to change. Those plants will grow perfectly well in gravel. Most plants do. With the addition of root tabs and liquid or dry fertilizers your plants will grow well (assuming you have the correct lighting).

I'm not sure you really need to change, but here is how I have changed substrate before:

1. emptied fish, plants and tank water into spare tanks/QT tanks. You could use plastic totes. Turn off filters, but keep media wet.
2. Scraped out the substrate.
3. I wash new substrate IN the tank (others do it differently). I put it in, fill it up with tap water, swill it about, empty it, fill, swill, empty until water doesn't cloud up anymore.
4. put the water you saved into the tank, along with fish, turn filters back on.

It's really pretty painless and I didn't have any spikes or enter another cycle. Your mileage may vary.

That's good news. I like the white color, and (at the time of purchase) I didn't think sand wasn't really an option with how I planned on doing my hardscaping. Here are some pics to get an idea of what I've got so far. It's my first attempt at a planted tank.

I've got a Yoshimo Cherry Tree branch that I am planning on using to replace the artificial Bonsai tree that is currently in there. Once it's prepped, I'm planning on attaching some Christmas moss to in an attempt to recreate a Bonsai-ish looking tree. Also, the red cave light looks a lot cooler in person. I've got blue LED's shining down, and the red light really makes the white gravel glow. I need to upgrade my point n' click cam for a good one...

Attachments

• photo 01.jpg
    photo 01.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 68
  • photo 02.jpg
    photo 02.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 72
  • photo 03.jpg
    photo 03.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 72
  • photo 04.jpg
    photo 04.jpg