Untangling plants after PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone else get annoyed with trying to untangle stem plants after a 50% PWC? I intentionally try and add water only in fairly unplanted areas, and with a low-as-possible flow to not mix things up, but every weekend when I do this I spend about 20 minutes untwisting things and replanting a few errant stems that got dislodged in the exercise...

Some weeks I want to trim and replant with PWC, others I replant and trim during the week and I just want to cycle the water out but can't seem to avoid this additional maintenance.

I guess it just comes with the territory, but I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and/or if anyone has found creative ways of avoiding it.

I trim and replant right before I do the PWC. That way all of the free floating leaves get sucked up into the python and out the window. Then when I fill up the tank, A lot of areas are void of plants, so I don't have any problems getting them tangled.

I purposely fill in an area void of plants for that very reason as I posed this very question almost a year ago. If I recall, a member also suggested covering the tube with mesh to disperse the force. You can also lower the flow rate going into the tank.

I don't have a heavily planted tank, but I've started using a submersible pump in the bottom of a bucket, with tubing attached to return to the tank, to refill after water changes. For the larger tanks I just pour the additional buckets into the one with the pump in it. The flow is much calmer coming from the pump; I use a 100 GPH pump but just ordered a nearly-300 GPH so it will be able to pump from floor height. If the flow is too strong I can just aim it at the wall of the tank.

I broke our (crappy, old) plumbing with my beloved Python, so back to buckets. With the pump I don't have to stand there pouring water into the top of the tank, either. Holding a 5-gallon bucket at chest height. While trying to aim for a rock...etc.

plecoperson said:
I've started using a submersible pump in the bottom of a bucket, with tubing attached to return to the tank, to refill after water changes.

I have recently done the exact same thing - I bought a submersible pump to refill the tanks. My tanks aren't big enough for a python but the pump sure makes it easy to refill. I have four small tanks - again, not big enough for a python but lifting buckets and gallon jugs for 4 tanks sure made me tired! I love the pump!

I needed a head height of 5-6 feet. The first pump I got was in this range, but too strong. It felt like I was holding a fire hose. I got another pump - one size smaller than the first one. It can't pump up that far, but I put the bucket that it is in on a small stepladder. This way the water flow is not too fast or strong for me to handle. I have a ball valve on the pouring end of the tube, and I can close it halfway or so for some added flow control. I also aim my ball valve toward the back glass.

Yes, I do sometimes get annoyed at the stem plants when they get tangled! After the water change, I replace the glass top, open it halfway, and carefully set the light on. Then I look straight through the tank at eye level (looking at it from the top down doesn't help to point out which plants are tangled) and use a long pair of tweezers to gently untangle plants.

I spent a lot of time today on trimming-replanting-water change. I think I may do my trimming and replanting on a different day from the WC too.

I think that emptying the tank is as much part of the problem as refilling it... Seems to me that when everything gets laid over is when a lot of the problems occur for me, but I guess there really is no way around that... Well unless you had a system the emptied and refilled at the same time... Or I guess I could replant my plants perhaps in a way that would help avoid this issue.

I think I am going to turn try turning the faucet down a bit with my python next time on the refill. I also have a bald spot up front that I try and fill into.

dapellegrini said:
I think that emptying the tank is as much part of the problem as refilling it... Seems to me that when everything gets laid over is when a lot of the problems occur for me, but I guess there really is no way around that... Well unless you had a system the emptied and refilled at the same time... Or I guess I could replant my plants perhaps in a way that would help avoid this issue.

I think I am going to turn try turning the faucet down a bit with my python next time on the refill. I also have a bald spot up front that I try and fill into.

again thats why I like to trim before I do my PWC. It keeps a lot of my stem plants from getting tangled. Granted no matter what you do, you will alway have some that get tangled. :roll:

RK - For whatever reason, that did not sink in the first time... Trimming BEFORE is a good idea. For whatever reason, I have always trimmed after the fact... Just waking up now :)

Back
Top Bottom