Water wisteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone. Got this plant from my LFS for free and they said it was water wisteria or hygrophilla difformis. To me it doesn't look like water wisteria at all so tell me what you guys think!!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460502173.789362.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked this up as it rang a bell here and I think I have tried it. Really need an expert but I believe the non-submerged and submerged forms are quite different.

It looks like 'non submerged' (emerged or emergent I think) rooted wisteria. There are too many different forms of growth for wisteria it's not even funny. I have avoided the plant since it took over one of my tanks faster than I could get rid of it.

On a side note- the leaves may "melt" a little. I strongly suggest removing the pieces of "dead" leaf because it can come back to life and do a number on your filter.

On a side note- the leaves may "melt" a little. I strongly suggest removing the pieces of "dead" leaf because it can come back to life and do a number on your filter.

Thanks guys I washed them pretty good so all the dead leaves should be off. Do u believe it's fine to leave in my tank tho? I've never had wisteria. More of a crypt, sword any has kind of guy ???

You should be fine. ☺ it's actually a beautiful plant, I just don't recommend it for true nano settings if you're a lazy gardener because given the right nutrients and sun you can literally watch this plant grow. I've had similar experiences with cabomba, lotus and bacopa.

You should be fine. ☺ it's actually a beautiful plant, I just don't recommend it for true nano settings if you're a lazy gardener because given the right nutrients and sun you can literally watch this plant grow. I've had similar experiences with cabomba, lotus and bacopa.

Thanks a bunch KT!! I have a very weird situation as my 46 gal is right informer of a big sliding door window and gets sunlight all day yet not one ounce of algae instead my plants grow immensely. My crypts are over 6 inches tall. ???

�� my c. Wendtii "mi oya" has responded to my addition of a CO2 doser by producing 6-8 inch long spear like leaves and the algae on my glass is disappearing despite of sun exposure for up to 9 hours a day. Do you use co2 on your tanks?

�� my c. Wendtii "mi oya" has responded to my addition of a CO2 doser by producing 6-8 inch long spear like leaves and the algae on my glass is disappearing despite of sun exposure for up to 9 hours a day. Do you use co2 on your tanks?

I've always wanted to make the leap to Co2 but haven't done so. I'm the other hand I do use dirt as the substrate topped with a mix of brown and black floramax so plenty of nutrients in the soil. I also dose leaf zone. Here are some pics

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460506673.428754.jpg
Giant anubias. Got it a year ago at 3 leaves and 4 inches tall. Now look at it ??

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460506751.109453.jpg
2 crypt wenditti (awful spelling I know)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460506805.945146.jpg
Last crypt and anubias pettitite

It looks like 'non submerged' (emerged or emergent I think) rooted wisteria. There are too many different forms of growth for wisteria it's not even funny. I have avoided the plant since it took over one of my tanks faster than I could get rid of it.

I wish I could of got it to work :( It just never took off for me. Most disappointing.

I wish I could of got it to work :( It just never took off for me. Most disappointing.

Hopefully it takes off for me. It looks beautiful once healthy so that's what I'm aiming for

Water Wisteria's full name is something like Hygrophila Deformis. The Deformis part of the name refers to how many different/deformed shapes it can take on and how differently it can look in different conditions. Yeah it's fun to watch grow. I recently got some I'm not thrilled with, but the one I got from the LFS I really loved.

Water Wisteria's full name is something like Hygrophila Deformis. The Deformis part of the name refers to how many different/deformed shapes it can take on and how differently it can look in different conditions. Yeah it's fun to watch grow. I recently got some I'm not thrilled with, but the one I got from the LFS I really loved.

Oh wow that's really cool to know. Does it all turn out the same or still looks different ?

I have a mid sized hex (30ish gallons)- don't get snippy about dimensions as I'm not gonna try to find my tape measure and this really isn't that important anyways- that I'm thinking about going dirt with. I currently use laterite and flourish tabs along with planted substrates, I'm just not sure about what would be the best method of keeping it from escaping into my water column.

I am glad I decided to go for co2. My tank was a mess with green algae and I was dosing with liquid carbon. I now dose with iron, flourish and flourish trace and supplement based on signs of deficiencies.

Do you use any specific method with dirt?

I love water wisteria, really cool looking plant and provides hiding spots for the fish. When it gets too tall, cut it in half, replant and eventually you have a dense jungle!!

It does take quite awhile to switch to immersed , about 2-3 months and then it'll take off. Btw a fun fact is it will close its leaves at night! Like this: \/

I love water wisteria, really cool looking plant and provides hiding spots for the fish. When it gets too tall, cut it in half, replant and eventually you have a dense jungle!!

It does take quite awhile to switch to immersed , about 2-3 months and then it'll take off. Btw a fun fact is it will close its leaves at night! Like this: \/

I did like how the wonky leaves curled up at night and bubbled when they woke up in the morning.

I can't say for sure how it turns out for everyone. I just know I'm upset with my latest batch and floating it for now. I'll get back to you in a couple months.

I have a mid sized hex (30ish gallons)- don't get snippy about dimensions as I'm not gonna try to find my tape measure and this really isn't that important anyways- that I'm thinking about going dirt with. I currently use laterite and flourish tabs along with planted substrates, I'm just not sure about what would be the best method of keeping it from escaping into my water column.

I am glad I decided to go for co2. My tank was a mess with green algae and I was dosing with liquid carbon. I now dose with iron, flourish and flourish trace and supplement based on signs of deficiencies.

The key with dirt is less is better, you don't need 3 inches of dirt. I use probably maybe an inch. Than you want to wet it before placing the top gravel. For the top gravel you can use around 2-3 inches doesn't really matter. Once everything is filled just keep checking your water parameters to make sure everything is alright and stable.

Last edited by a moderator:

You could try mineralising the soil first or boiling off the ammonia. I have mixed feelings about dirt. If you get it right though, I don't think it can be beaten.

You could try mineralising the soil first or boiling off the ammonia. I have mixed feelings about dirt. If you get it right though, I don't think it can be beaten.

+1 if done properly there is no comparison to another substrate

Back
Top Bottom