Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Water wisteria?

Hey everyone. Got this plant from my LFS for free and they said it was water wisteria or hygrophilla difformis. To me it doesn't look like water wisteria at all so tell me what you guys think!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460502173.789362.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	286128




Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 16,731
I looked this up as it rang a bell here and I think I have tried it. Really need an expert but I believe the non-submerged and submerged forms are quite different.
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ktomminello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 1,227
It looks like 'non submerged' (emerged or emergent I think) rooted wisteria. There are too many different forms of growth for wisteria it's not even funny. I have avoided the plant since it took over one of my tanks faster than I could get rid of it.
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ktomminello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 1,227
On a side note- the leaves may "melt" a little. I strongly suggest removing the pieces of "dead" leaf because it can come back to life and do a number on your filter.
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktomminello View Post
On a side note- the leaves may "melt" a little. I strongly suggest removing the pieces of "dead" leaf because it can come back to life and do a number on your filter.
Thanks guys I washed them pretty good so all the dead leaves should be off. Do u believe it's fine to leave in my tank tho? I've never had wisteria. More of a crypt, sword any has kind of guy 😂😂😂


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ktomminello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 1,227
You should be fine. ☺ it's actually a beautiful plant, I just don't recommend it for true nano settings if you're a lazy gardener because given the right nutrients and sun you can literally watch this plant grow. I've had similar experiences with cabomba, lotus and bacopa.
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktomminello View Post
You should be fine. ☺ it's actually a beautiful plant, I just don't recommend it for true nano settings if you're a lazy gardener because given the right nutrients and sun you can literally watch this plant grow. I've had similar experiences with cabomba, lotus and bacopa.

Thanks a bunch KT!! I have a very weird situation as my 46 gal is right informer of a big sliding door window and gets sunlight all day yet not one ounce of algae instead my plants grow immensely. My crypts are over 6 inches tall. 😂😂😂


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ktomminello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 1,227
�� my c. Wendtii "mi oya" has responded to my addition of a CO2 doser by producing 6-8 inch long spear like leaves and the algae on my glass is disappearing despite of sun exposure for up to 9 hours a day. Do you use co2 on your tanks?
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktomminello View Post
�� my c. Wendtii "mi oya" has responded to my addition of a CO2 doser by producing 6-8 inch long spear like leaves and the algae on my glass is disappearing despite of sun exposure for up to 9 hours a day. Do you use co2 on your tanks?

I've always wanted to make the leap to Co2 but haven't done so. I'm the other hand I do use dirt as the substrate topped with a mix of brown and black floramax so plenty of nutrients in the soil. I also dose leaf zone. Here are some pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460506673.428754.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	286129
Giant anubias. Got it a year ago at 3 leaves and 4 inches tall. Now look at it 😂😂

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460506751.109453.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	286130
2 crypt wenditti (awful spelling I know)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460506805.945146.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	286131
Last crypt and anubias pettitite




Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #10
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 16,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktomminello View Post
It looks like 'non submerged' (emerged or emergent I think) rooted wisteria. There are too many different forms of growth for wisteria it's not even funny. I have avoided the plant since it took over one of my tanks faster than I could get rid of it.

I wish I could of got it to work It just never took off for me. Most disappointing.
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
I wish I could of got it to work It just never took off for me. Most disappointing.

Hopefully it takes off for me. It looks beautiful once healthy so that's what I'm aiming for


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ny
Posts: 187
Water Wisteria's full name is something like Hygrophila Deformis. The Deformis part of the name refers to how many different/deformed shapes it can take on and how differently it can look in different conditions. Yeah it's fun to watch grow. I recently got some I'm not thrilled with, but the one I got from the LFS I really loved.
__________________
schpanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpanky View Post
Water Wisteria's full name is something like Hygrophila Deformis. The Deformis part of the name refers to how many different/deformed shapes it can take on and how differently it can look in different conditions. Yeah it's fun to watch grow. I recently got some I'm not thrilled with, but the one I got from the LFS I really loved.

Oh wow that's really cool to know. Does it all turn out the same or still looks different ?



Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ktomminello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 1,227
I have a mid sized hex (30ish gallons)- don't get snippy about dimensions as I'm not gonna try to find my tape measure and this really isn't that important anyways- that I'm thinking about going dirt with. I currently use laterite and flourish tabs along with planted substrates, I'm just not sure about what would be the best method of keeping it from escaping into my water column.

I am glad I decided to go for co2. My tank was a mess with green algae and I was dosing with liquid carbon. I now dose with iron, flourish and flourish trace and supplement based on signs of deficiencies.

Do you use any specific method with dirt?
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tropical Aquarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 529
I love water wisteria, really cool looking plant and provides hiding spots for the fish. When it gets too tall, cut it in half, replant and eventually you have a dense jungle!!

It does take quite awhile to switch to immersed , about 2-3 months and then it'll take off. Btw a fun fact is it will close its leaves at night! Like this: \/
__________________
Tropical Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ktomminello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Aquarist View Post
I love water wisteria, really cool looking plant and provides hiding spots for the fish. When it gets too tall, cut it in half, replant and eventually you have a dense jungle!!

It does take quite awhile to switch to immersed , about 2-3 months and then it'll take off. Btw a fun fact is it will close its leaves at night! Like this: \/
I did like how the wonky leaves curled up at night and bubbled when they woke up in the morning.
__________________
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:24 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ny
Posts: 187
I can't say for sure how it turns out for everyone. I just know I'm upset with my latest batch and floating it for now. I'll get back to you in a couple months.
__________________
schpanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:38 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Water wisteria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktomminello View Post
I have a mid sized hex (30ish gallons)- don't get snippy about dimensions as I'm not gonna try to find my tape measure and this really isn't that important anyways- that I'm thinking about going dirt with. I currently use laterite and flourish tabs along with planted substrates, I'm just not sure about what would be the best method of keeping it from escaping into my water column.

I am glad I decided to go for co2. My tank was a mess with green algae and I was dosing with liquid carbon. I now dose with iron, flourish and flourish trace and supplement based on signs of deficiencies.

Do you use any specific method with dirt?

The key with dirt is less is better, you don't need 3 inches of dirt. I use probably maybe an inch. Than you want to wet it before placing the top gravel. For the top gravel you can use around 2-3 inches doesn't really matter. Once everything is filled just keep checking your water parameters to make sure everything is alright and stable.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 6,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktomminello View Post
I have a mid sized hex (30ish gallons)- don't get snippy about dimensions as I'm not gonna try to find my tape measure and this really isn't that important anyways- that I'm thinking about going dirt with. I currently use laterite and flourish tabs along with planted substrates, I'm just not sure about what would be the best method of keeping it from escaping into my water column.

I am glad I decided to go for co2. My tank was a mess with green algae and I was dosing with liquid carbon. I now dose with iron, flourish and flourish trace and supplement based on signs of deficiencies.

Do you use any specific method with dirt?

You could try mineralising the soil first or boiling off the ammonia. I have mixed feelings about dirt. If you get it right though, I don't think it can be beaten.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
You could try mineralising the soil first or boiling off the ammonia. I have mixed feelings about dirt. If you get it right though, I don't think it can be beaten.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 if done properly there is no comparison to another substrate


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ate, water, wisteria

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Water Wisteria, Ludwigia Ripens, More Water Sprite Batt4Christ Archive 5 11-01-2011 04:47 PM
water wisteria? fishdud Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 27 05-27-2011 07:05 PM
Trimming water sprite and wisteria fish_4_all Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 1 08-19-2006 11:08 PM
Water wisteria wilting like crazy. jrp1588 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 11 08-09-2005 06:26 PM
Water wisteria question... Mofo2713 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 4 10-07-2004 06:52 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.