What HOB filter to use for 29gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_b0401

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering what filter would work best for my planted tank. I have tried other HOB filters but I couldn't have floating plants bc the current was to strong... I resulted to using a sponge filter but I would really like to use a HOB as the sponge filter takes up more room then I like and it's hard to cover up.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did you try an Aquaclear HOB filter? You can adjust the flow rate on those to your liking. Plus, after running for a while with plants, it'll get gunked up a bit and lose some flow anyway. But even with a low flow, I think it's still going to push your plants around. I don't really do floating plants, so I'm not an authority. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did you try an Aquaclear HOB filter? You can adjust the flow rate on those to your liking. Plus, after running for a while with plants, it'll get gunked up a bit and lose some flow anyway. But even with a low flow, I think it's still going to push your plants around. I don't really do floating plants, so I'm not an authority. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No I haven't tried that filter I'll keep it in mind and do some research thank you:)

You should be able to just raise the water level. A tetra whisper EX 45 is good as well imo.

You should be able to just raise the water level. A tetra whisper EX 45 is good as well imo.

Does that have adjustable water flow?

I raised the wage level as high as I could on my 10 gallon tank and it still managed to kill all my frogbit in about a month...

Does that have adjustable water flow?

I raised the wage level as high as I could on my 10 gallon tank and it still managed to kill all my frogbit in about a month...

No it doesn't but the flow is broad and gentle versus short and powerful. Should be good for floating plants. Here's a pic of mine. Tetra EX30 whisper on the right and my fluval 105 on the right. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407452277.755808.jpg

No it doesn't but the flow is broad and gentle versus short and powerful. Should be good for floating plants. Here's a pic of mine. Tetra EX30 whisper on the right and my fluval 105 on the right. View attachment 245989

Alright great thanks for the advice I'll definitely try the whisper:)

Well i was going to try a whisper but was looking at the reviews and apparently they came out with a new model and the reviews are awful. Saying its poorly made, doesn't filter well, breaks easily, is VERY loud and all over isnt a good product so back to the drawing board...

Well i was going to try a whisper but was looking at the reviews and apparently they came out with a new model and the reviews are awful. Saying its poorly made, doesn't filter well, breaks easily, is VERY loud and all over isnt a good product so back to the drawing board...

Oh. Well the one I have has been quite good and very cheap.

How about a canister? Try to find a fluval 105/6 used. Thats how i got mine. They are normally expensive ($100ish) but I found one used for $55. Totally worth it. Its been great and dead silent. Looks better too.

How about a canister? Try to find a fluval 105/6 used. Thats how i got mine. They are normally expensive ($100ish) but I found one used for $55. Totally worth it. Its been great and dead silent. Looks better too.

Hmm maybe I don't know ANYTHING abouy canister filters but I'll look into it

They take water from your tank and puts it into a canister on the ground near your tank. Then the water goes back into the tank through an output. Its high quality, non intrusive, but unfortunately very expensive. Harder to set up than an HOB but after you set it up its nice and easy.

Hmm sound easy enough but I'm not sure if ill have the floor space... all my tanks are in my room and I'm pretty full at the moment as far a ground space goes... I have my 29 on a stackable stand and the bottom I'm using for storage of all my fish stuff not the most wonderful set up but it works

I have also been looking for a new filter for my 29 gallon tank, and so far what seems to be the best hob this very moment is the Fluval C series, biggest one being Fluval C4. It's a little expensive compared to the cheap hobs (around 50-80$), but it does it's job too well according to my recommenders. It also has adjustable flow, so it should help keep your floating pants alive.

It's made by the same company who made the Aquaclear, one of the most popular filters ever, because of how good and easy to use it is. It's pretty much a more advanced Aquaclear. You should seriously consider one, the reviews look great from what I saw.

Also, I recommend to buy a filter with higher gallon rating for what it's "meant" for, because 1. You can never have too much filtration, 2. Filter companies like to exaggerate a little to kind of trick you and save more money. I was told doubling the filter's gallon rating is a good idea. If your tank is 30 gallons, buy a filter for 60 gallons (30 gallons doubled).

Another thing you can do is buy 2 cheaper filters. Like 2 Fluval C2's. It'll be the same as doubling your filtration. I don't know what the price was for the C2, but if buying 2 is cheaper than 1 C4, then that is a good idea. Otherwise, just get the C4. XD

I have also been looking for a new filter for my 29 gallon tank, and so far what seems to be the best hob this very moment is the Fluval C series, biggest one being Fluval C4. It's a little expensive compared to the cheap hobs (around 50-80$), but it does it's job too well according to my recommenders. It also has adjustable flow, so it should help keep your floating pants alive.

It's made by the same company who made the Aquaclear, one of the most popular filters ever, because of how good and easy to use it is. It's pretty much a more advanced Aquaclear. You should seriously consider one, the reviews look great from what I saw.

Also, I recommend to buy a filter with higher gallon rating for what it's "meant" for, because 1. You can never have too much filtration, 2. Filter companies like to exaggerate a little to kind of trick you and save more money. I was told doubling the filter's gallon rating is a good idea. If your tank is 30 gallons, buy a filter for 60 gallons (30 gallons doubled).

Another thing you can do is buy 2 cheaper filters. Like 2 Fluval C2's. It'll be the same as doubling your filtration. I don't know what the price was for the C2, but if buying 2 is cheaper than 1 C4, then that is a good idea. Otherwise, just get the C4. XD

Thanks I will take a look and see how much the fluvals run on price. I usually but filters that are made for more then what they say not always double as I run sponge filters in all my other tanks plus a hob filter (except in my multi tank after they burnt out two of my best filters I gave up :banghead: ) and I do weekly water changes on all my tanks but since I dont want to run a sponge filter in this tank ill look at going double:)

Found a C4 for $54.99 on Amazon and the C2's were $34.99 so deffinitly a better deal to get the C4 I've never seen such a high tech HOB filter of course I'm new and have sadly learned the quality over quantity spent the hard way. I have bought the cheapest of the cheap just to have it die in a coupe hours to a couple weeks.

Check out how crystal clear my water looks in my 17g running a fluval c2. I also added an eheim skim 350 for the surface since my tank is topless. But if that doesn't matter, the fluval c series is excellent for the overall filtration of your tank. It's like a hob & canister hybrid. It's innovative, to say the least.

Go to page 1 for the FTS.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303877

Last edited:
Check out how crystal clear my water looks in my 17g running a fluval c2. I also added an eheim skim 350 for the surface since my tank is topless. But if that doesn't matter, the fluval c series is excellent for the overall filtration of your tank. It's like a hob & canister hybrid. It's innovative, to say the least.

Go to page 1 for the FTS.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303877

Wow!!!!! Not only is your water clear but your tank is just amazing!!!!!!! If I can make my tank half that good I will be dancing and jumping around in circles. By topless do you mean no lid or no floating plants? My 29 doesn't have a lid bc I was told its best not to use one on a planted tank bc of the lights? And what does the eheim skim 350 do sorry never heard of one...

Thank you. It's a rimless tank, so most don't have lids. Lids are optional for planted tanks. If you don't keep them clean, they'll act like a screen and reduce your light (PAR). But the flipside is that you don't have to top off as much due to evaporation.

I use an eheim 350 to skim the surface of my tank. Otherwise a nasty looking oil slick / surface scum takes hold. We don't use one on my parent's 26g bf as the surface isn't visible due to the frame and by it having a lid. So out of sight, out of mind.

Back
Top Bottom