what media for planted tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kagentx

Aquarium Advice Activist
the water in my tank aren't so clear, and i'm thinking now that it has something to do with my canister filter. I have 2 sponges in there and that's about it. I heard that carbon absorbs some nutrients plants need so i excluded them. Am i missing something? also i'm planning to put some crushed corals in there as u guys have mentioned =D. What can be causing this non clear water? high iron levels?

A bacterial bloom can cause cloudy water, as can a not-quite-cycled tank. Check ammonia and nitrite levels first. Carbon is not required, necessarily. I can't remember what size tank you have, or what size filter, but will assume your filtration is adequate.

In my canister I use some ceramic "noodles" as well as coarse and fine sponges.

I know most people, if not all on this board, say dont use carbon in a planted tank. I do use carbon in my tanks, and I have to trim plants every week. I also dose fertz daily so maybe that makes up for what the carbon takes out, but Im not sure. Maybe I dont need the carbon and would be better off with out it, but I started using it before the plants, and will probably keep on using it. Least it does keep the water real clean.

What do you mean by not so clear? White cloudy? Green cloudy? Little bits floating in the water?

Back
Top Bottom