what plant gives the look of small tree form?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
i'm looking for a plant of some sort that would look like a tree in a the tank, I'm setting up a mountain look with rock and lawn so I am looking for plants that give out the illusion of trees if any?

my giant hygro looks alot like a tree. i will take a pic of it tonight and post it here.i dont know the technical name for the plant so maybe someone will know what i am talking about.

To get a tree look from many plants would take carefull consideration of the pruning. Many of the plants we consider a "Tree" out on the land, if untrimmed would look like a big bush. The gardener is what makes it look like a "tree" (bare trunk, and leaves on top).

Some plants that could be trained are: Downoi, Mexican Oak Leaf, Anubus, Many Hygrophila, Some Ludwigia's (that might be a challenge), also Willow Branches can be cut and will Grow in your tank, some use that to cure a greenwater outbreak. You could probably train a Alternanthera, that would make a real nice red tree.

No, blu that wasn't what Zezmo meant. The willow would have to be emersed (getting its feet wet) and I'm not sure it could be submerged for the depth of a tank. There's also the consideration of getting light to the foliage as most aquarium lighting doesn't get any light above tank level.

I like the idea of having a trunk shaped piece of driftwood and attaching a type of moss, fern or anubias on top of it, I think that will give you the best look if you want something tree-like.

JMO

i have seen alot of people used cured bambo then put clumps of jsvsmodd ontop to give a really neat appearance. i still have to take a pictures of my giant hygro lol it kinda looks like a tree.

thanks for all the info, but i was trying to find if any some plants that dont grow upwards of more than 3 to 6inches so the perspective and depth to what a small lawn effect into the correct scale of nature looks like.

Back
Top Bottom