Whats on my java fern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like what I have been blessed with...brown algae....I just put my lights to 6 hours a day and double dosed with my flourish. Tomorrow will see a new Otos or two as they LOVE the stuff, and won't munch the plants... but in case I got Tetra algae control. But all the shrimps and snails have to take a temp. home for 36-48 hour if I get desperate enough to go that route. I'd watch it and if it spreads...mine spread FAST in 24 hours!!! Cut your light down and give it a double dose... Its what all the planted guys said to do here on AA. and give it a few days to clear up. I think mine rode in on a plant, even tho i rinse all my plants before putting them in

It's hard to tell from the picture but does the brown stuff rub off with your fingers? If so, it's probably diatoms and that would eventually subside on its own. But if it doesn't rub off, it could be the leaves are just turning brown and that there's some deficiency or something.

Doesn't rub off. I bought it from and discus tank and few of the leaves are destroyed. Hopefully I can get it to bounce back

Yeah its probably a deficiency. I've also encountered a bizarre java fern disease that spreads... If you start to see the browning spread to healthy leaves, you need to cut off and remove the brown leaves quick.

Otherwise, If its just the deficiency issue, what are you dosing in terms of ferts?

Yeah its probably a deficiency. I've also encountered a bizarre java fern disease that spreads... If you start to see the browning spread to healthy leaves, you need to cut off and remove the brown leaves quick.

Otherwise, If its just the deficiency issue, what are you dosing in terms of ferts?

I'm not dosing at all... It was like this when I bought it...

Well didn't know you had them. It would be helpful to know your full setup.

Conversely, you can use co2 and flourish combo. DIY co2 is effective in tanks less than 20g. Even low light tolerant plants will certainly appreciate co2.

Back
Top Bottom