What's wrong with false aquatic plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, guys.

I have a white arrowhead in my tank, and recently learned that this is a "false aquatic" plant. I know it can survive out of the water, but it was submerged in the fish store and it's done pretty well so far in my tank (though I haven't had it for long).

I don't really care if it grows (in fact, it's kinda big, so I'd almost prefer it didn't grow up any more). So... what, if anything, is wrong with keeping it in my tank?

Also, we're looking for good freshwater plants that are tall and have a light-blocking canopy (for glass cats) but aren't too big. Any suggestions?

Nothing is technically "wrong" with it. It's just that it will die if left submerged. It may be alright for now, but it won't last long.

Agree with the above. The problem is that typically they "crash" quickly from the root mass up and can foul a tank. Some bog plants can stay submerged for long periods (months) before they wane.

Also, we're looking for good freshwater plants that are tall and have a light-blocking canopy (for glass cats) but aren't too big. Any suggestions?

Tiger Lotus get big at the base, but will cover the surface well. Floating plants like Amazon Frogbit might be better though.

I don't think we have room for a Tiger Lotus, but the amazon frogbit looks AMAZING. Thanks! Any other suggestions?

Also, can you guys answer a few questions about the frogbit? Do they come with shrimp or something...? I've seen stuff online like they have invertibrates breeding in them. And what is water column supplementation...and do they need it?

I don't know of any inverts that breed in them. They are surface plants only and inverts tend to stay in cover down low. If you are doing a google image search or something maybe that image wasn't the correct plant.

I didn't need any ferts to keep Amazon Frogbit going, but I have started to use Tetra Flora Pride to make them grow larger and faster. Water column supplementation? I have no idea what that means. Maybe they mean fertilizer.

Thanks so much! I'm pretty sure I'm going to get some. Do you know if freshwateraquariumplants.com is a trustworthy site to buy from? They're shipping is a little steep...

I have only ever bought plants from two places, eBay and Aquabid. And actually both places from the same seller called 'Mikeswetpets'. He doesn't sell Frogbit though, but there's some on Aquabid now, 25 plants for $15, free shipping.

25 plants is a better deal than the 6 on the other site, but I guess I'm just worried about a snail infestation...

if you don't overfeed, snails dont become a problem. I've got pond snails, mts, and ramshorn snails in my two planted tanks. I find them a valuable addition. I don't overfeed, so they don't overpopulate.

Well, I do like snails (we have three already!) I don't think i overfeed, but we do have to do a separate night feeding for the glass cats. How often do you feed?

Hmm... well, we'll keep an eye on it. Thanks! As an update, I decided to buy the amazon frogbit on aquabid, so thanks for that advice, Tom. =] And we took out the white arrowhead. So, all's well.

Back
Top Bottom