where to get ferts and plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evaunitone

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so now I need to start thinking about where to get my plants. Anyone have a recommendation for a good, reputable website? I'm hoping to not get ripped off.

Also, I've checked several pet stores and haven't found any fertilizers that seem legit. Any recommendations on that? Ideally I'd find a website where I can order my plants and my ferts at the same time and not pay and arm and a leg for them.

Thanks for the sites! So whats the easiest way to do fertilizers? I'd rather not buy each different macro and the trace elements all separately if I don't have to. If I do, then can you tell me exactly what I have to buy? I just want to know a concise list of what I have to buy as far as fertilizers without getting anything that I don't need. I want to do my planted tank correctly, but I'm not wealthy by any means so I don't need to have the best of the best, etc.

I get my dry ferts from a local hydroponics/pond place.... saves on shipping. You might want to phone around (hydroponics, pond, landscaping places) for a local source.

Rex Gregg is a mail order source that many have used.
Welcome to Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks
can get the others local if you look around but wont be able to find csm+b. they no longer make it with +b the aquarium people add it.

is rex shipping again? i know for some time he wasnt no one seems to have got anything from him in some time. i havent talked to him in some time.

I second timwag's advice. He just helped me get started with my first pressurized co2 setup. I ordered my ferts from aquariumfertilizer.com. Came out to be $31 shipped for 1lb KNO3, 1lb KH2P04, 1lb Plantex CSM+B, and 1lb GH Booster. I'm not sure if I need the GH booster yet or not but I figured I might as well order it for $5 more.

As far as plants, I have been looking at aquabotanic.com. Seems like they have reasonable prices and a very nice selection. Also, its great to help out a site sponsor. :)

You will probably find better deals on the forums. Usually the person that has them can tell you what lights and fertilizers they are using as well. Live plants usually have some type of snails with them that is something you will deal with. My way of dealing with them is let them live in my tank, a friend of mine uses assassin snails to get rid of his.

I'm planning to keep a pair of rams, so I probably don't want to get a gH booster, right? I live in Denver and I emailed someone before moving here about the tap water conditions and I remember her saying that the water is moderately hard here, but gets a little softer in the spring when the meltwater from the mountains comes down into the aquifers or whatever.

This aquariumfertilizer.com looks great. What should I order? Lol, I know thats a general question but I don't really know what exactly is required. Should I just get the KNO3, KH2PO4, and CSM +B? I will have fluorite in my tank (unless I don't need it).

That should be all you need if your gh is adequate. Their shipping is pretty quick too. Are you injecting co2? Are you going to use EI for dosing?

Back
Top Bottom