Blackbanded sunfish (Enneacanthus chaetodon)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
img_3114308_0_4374e4544fe48907b869e866f9a4c099.jpg

The blackbanded sunfish is a north american native. It is primarily found in sluggish backwaters and vegetated areas. It hails from blackwater type settings ranging to somewhat clear, but is almost always found in acidic water (again, ranging).

Description: This is a small sunfish, I like to call them dwarfs, as they only get around 2-3" fully grown. They have a compressed body that is white with silver sheen, and distinct vertical barring.

Distribution of the blackbanded sunfish is throughout most of the east coast ranging from NJ down to Florida. However, in the last few decades, their populations have dwindled in many areas including Florida, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. Some of these states have them on a 'species of special concern' status as well. Because of this, it may end up that this species will be very limited and potentially only available through breeders in the aquarium trade.

Diet: In the wild, this fish is primarly an insectivore. It also eats small crustaceans and small fry. Because of this, feeding in aquaria can be a bit complicated. For best results, feed live grindal worms, brine shrimp, blackworms, or similar. Fish appear to take to frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp pretty quickly. Captive bred specimens are much easier to feed, and some may even take to flake food.

Breeding: These are substrate spawners, in which the male creates a bed and then spawns with a willing female. It appears that the male will protect the eggs until shortly after they hatch, and at that point they become a free for all. Newborn fry can take live microworms ,infusoria, or baby brine shrimp after their yolk sac has been absorbed.

Here's a video of our blackbanded sunfish colony.

img_3114310_0_4374e4544fe48907b869e866f9a4c099.jpg

The blackbanded sunfish is a north american native. It is primarily found in sluggish backwaters and vegetated areas. It hails from blackwater type settings ranging to somewhat clear, but is almost always found in acidic water (again, ranging).

Description: This is a small sunfish, I like to call them dwarfs, as they only get around 2-3" fully grown. They have a compressed body that is white with silver sheen, and distinct vertical barring.

Distribution of the blackbanded sunfish is throughout most of the east coast ranging from NJ down to Florida. However, in the last few decades, their populations have dwindled in many areas including Florida, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. Some of these states have them on a 'species of special concern' status as well. Because of this, it may end up that this species will be very limited and potentially only available through breeders in the aquarium trade.

Diet: In the wild, this fish is primarly an insectivore. It also eats small crustaceans and small fry. Because of this, feeding in aquaria can be a bit complicated. For best results, feed live grindal worms, brine shrimp, blackworms, or similar. Fish appear to take to frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp pretty quickly. Captive bred specimens are much easier to feed, and some may even take to flake food.

Breeding: These are substrate spawners, in which the male creates a bed and then spawns with a willing female. It appears that the male will protect the eggs until shortly after they hatch, and at that point they become a free for all. Newborn fry can take live microworms ,infusoria, or baby brine shrimp after their yolk sac has been absorbed.

Here's a video of our blackbanded sunfish colony.

Nice profile. Ive always been interested in these guys. By the way, aren't they on the CARES list?

I'm not sure if CARES does anything with centarchids or north american natives in general. I know they are not on the IUCN red list, but may be in time. If the habitat destruction and other issues continue then it's inevitable that they'll be on the protected lists of most of the states they are in (they are already on a few), or they'll get federal status.

This fish is one of my absolute favorite, #1 native fish that I've wanted to keep, so I was ecstatic to find a guy who is breeding them.

Very cool fish there.. that tank seems more interesting than most.. they're almost like mini discus... hehe sunfish mosh pit. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very interesting fish. My first thought when I looked at the pic ( and before I read the description) was, I would like to have them! :D Are you collecting them or do you know any local breeders with them for sale? (y)

I got mine from a guy who captive breeds them in Maryland. His name is Frank and I believe he's active on the CCA forum. You *might* be able to find them locally in the wild, although with their range dwindling it may be more miss than hit. We have a lot of enneacanthus obesus and enneacanthus gloriosus here. (banded and bluespotted).

If you end up considering looking for them, contact me and I'll give you some more detail on how I do it.

So you've found some and aquired some? And yes, they sit like rams, the vertical banding reminds me of discus.. my 5 banded barbs too for that matter..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got mine from a guy who captive breeds them in Maryland. His name is Frank and I believe he's active on the CCA forum. You *might* be able to find them locally in the wild, although with their range dwindling it may be more miss than hit. We have a lot of enneacanthus obesus and enneacanthus gloriosus here. (banded and bluespotted).

If you end up considering looking for them, contact me and I'll give you some more detail on how I do it.

Sounds good. I actually have a drainage culvert that goes to the lake nearby. I've seen gambusia, green sailfin mollies, small largemouth bass and some undescribed fish in there so with the rainy season over, I may be able to just take a dip net in my driveway :lol: But if that fails, I will ask for help for sure. Thank you. (y)

Those are nice too. I just bought out a breeder's room so I have about 200 tanks to play with. Unfortunately, they all won't fit into my new building. :( Need to build racks to see just how many I have to use for my Angelfish and then go for some other fish ;) (y)

Back
Top Bottom