New sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jose7878

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just build a new sump this weekend . I build it out of a 20 gallon long . It contains a in sump skimmer and a refugium. " bioballs will be removed after refugium has matured"

Attachments

• MY AQUARIUM 045.jpg
    MY AQUARIUM 045.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 82
  • MY AQUARIUM 044.jpg
    MY AQUARIUM 044.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 75
Looks pretty good. If I could ask, How much did this DIY refuge/sump cost to put together. It really looks nice.

The tank cost $20 , Pexiglass dividers $ 3 each "6 pieces" , Silcon $6 each "3 Tubes" , Egg crate $12 "2'x4' Piece" and plumbing $15. Total spent $70

excuse my ignorance, but im a newbie in the fish world, what is all that for? all those bio balls and why is it divided?

Looks nice :) So are the bioballs fully submerged (should not be)?

bio balls are fully sudmergered .I didnt no t know that they are not supposed to be . but they were in my old w/d for 5 years didn't want to lose the benifical bacteria that they contain.

Didn't have a chance to get to l/f/s. The tank was matured when it was in my 55 gallon but everything was just transfered over to the new 90 gallon. So you can say it is recycling again.

You sure it's cycling? Seeded bio balls from 5 years in the picture. Rock (I assume) from the 55g. Maybe no cycle is happening and it's ready to inhabit???

Did any testing?

Tested everything
Amonia 0 , Nitrate 0 ,Nitrite 0 , ph 8.4 , Calcium 420 , phosphate 0.
I'm having a diatom breakout . So i think its cycing again . Just picked up 3lbs of rubble a l/f/s today so will be taking out bio balls.

Not cycling. There would be ammonia if so. You prolly got enuf bacteria already on the rock and bioballs.

What makes you think its cycling? Diatoms come long after any cycling.

Yes the the sump is connected to the tank. I just figured that with 40 more gallons added that it would have to cycle again.

I don't think so. Just adding new water doesn't make a cycle. I think you're fine and the diatoms are just a new tank issue. Nothing to worry about. Watch the ammonia anyway if it makes you feel better during this transition.

Back
Top Bottom