New to the Hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mc86

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well as of this moment I am not the proud owner of a wonderful aquarium. I do not even have a tank yet. I plan on purchasing a 20g. freshwater to start and eventually work up to a saltwater. Over the course of the next few years I aspire to have at least one of each and a plant only tank. As far as freshwater goes what fish do you recommend I start with? I prefer to stay away from the traditional gold fish.

Platies, guppies, swordtails and mollies are good starter fish. You could only do 3 mollies if you wanted other fish in a 20g. Same with swordtails as they both grow to about 3 inches. They are all livebearers so they give birth to fry, and have been known to over populate the tank. I have 14 babies now from one drop so look out. If you Want any more info just pm me or post on this thread ;)

I have some Mickey mouse platies and some neon black hi fin variatus (aka platies). They are very active and pretty fish. I also have some long finned leopard danios. Very fast swimmers, always doing something. They are all easy fish. If you decide to go with platies or mollies ask for only females if you don't want fry. Then hope the females aren't already pregnant. My platies have given birth a couple times but the bigger fish eat most of the fry so I haven't had a "fry explosion" that has overpopulated my tank. Best of luck to you!

PS- have you read about the nitrogen cycle yet?

I am currently reading Freshwater Aquariums for Dummies (lol gotta do what you gotta do) and I haven't made it to that chapter yet. Sometime this week I plan to make a trip to an aquatic pet shop a friend recommended to get help picking out the necessary equipment and supplies.

Mc86 said:
I am currently reading Freshwater Aquariums for Dummies (lol gotta do what you gotta do) and I haven't made it to that chapter yet. Sometime this week I plan to make a trip to an aquatic pet shop a friend recommended to get help picking out the necessary equipment and supplies.

Just an FYI but call your petco. They are having a $1 per gallon sale. That means a 20 gallon is $20, 55 gal is $55 etc. BUT IT IS ENDING TODAY. At least it is at my petco. It may be worth running out and buying just the tank today.

Back
Top Bottom