Orange spot bristlenose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just brought home a couple of orange spot bristlenose. The male is about 15cm and the female about 12cm. I have them settling in in my 2ft QT atm. They will be going into the 6ft tank I have yet to set up. Are they difficult to breed? I guess I'm kind of hoping they are, so my 6ft doesn't end up teeming with them. Lol. But it would be nice to have some babies!

Im no expert but I currently have 3 pleco's, though none bristlenose. However, one of them (my sailfin) I received from a woman who used to have it as part of an (accidental! - they were meant to just be pets) breeding pair and she said it was quite uncommon for 2 plecos to breed, and that she supplied quite a few (trusted) local fish stores with baby plecos. So I dont know if it applies here but you might not have problems with breeding, but then again if you do - local fish stores!

Im no expert but I currently have 3 pleco's, though none bristlenose. However, one of them (my sailfin) I received from a woman who used to have it as part of an (accidental! - they were meant to just be pets) breeding pair and she said it was quite uncommon for 2 plecos to breed, and that she supplied quite a few (trusted) local fish stores with baby plecos. So I dont know if it applies here but you might not have problems with breeding, but then again if you do - local fish stores!

Wow that's amazing that she was able to breed sailfins- everyone says its impossible, but the guy I purchased two juveniles from bred the, and supplies local aquarium and pet stores (seems to mostly breed large numbers of a wide variety of African cichlids). For all I know he has a big pond that the plecos breed in.

The guy I bought my adult OSBN from was breeding them-he had 6 or 7 breeding pairs together in a dark cesspit of a tank. There was so much organic matter suspended in the water that even when he shone a torch at the tank you could barely see enough to be able to sex them. I was worried they'd die when I put them into a reasonably clean tank (as disgusting as it was I thought I ought to throw some of their old tank water into QT I put them in..

The poor things are so used to living in the dark, that they are just terrified. I don't have a light on them, and they are under the goldfish tank, but so far they haven't eaten. I've tried them with a NLS algae wafer and a slice of cucumber, but so far no movement. :-(

My other BN would be outraged at the waste of cucumber!

Back
Top Bottom