Setting up a new Cory tank 90g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All fish accounted for and happy after a few days in the new tank. :)

Now I am hunting for a deal on plants that grow from rhizomes and bulbs. Im planning on buying a refurbished current sat pro.

I'm not sure how well it shows in the pictures. But the water has a slight tinge/cloudiness to it...I can't tell if it's leaching from the wood or the rocks.

The driftwood was already in a tank for months so I thought all the tannins were leached out. I had it out on the back patio for a few weeks though while I setup this new tank.

I'm thinking of making a cholla wood "floating city" for my shrimp in the area on the right by cutting straight pieces to different lengths and suspending them in the water column under the driftwood.

I haven't worked out how to do that yet... (fishing line tied to the cholla, hung from something, a lava rock at the bottom inside each peice to weigh it down?)...or have I?!

Sent from my D6708 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1454432868321.jpg
    1454432868321.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 74
  • 1454432912701.jpg
    1454432912701.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 1454432955262.jpg
    1454432955262.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 63
I found a really beautiful fish to add to the tank. I bought a male and female Celebes (sell -eh -bees) Rainbow fish. I have another male and 5 females on the way. Im going to add 15 more pygmy Cory, and decide if I want hatchetfish (bc I have todecide if I want my tank covered or not) . The duplicareus is hard to come by right now so I'm waiting on adding those.

Attachments

• 1454524704363.jpg
    1454524704363.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 1454524733099.jpg
    1454524733099.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 1454524734023.jpg
    1454524734023.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 46
Yah, I got my current satellite pro today in the mail and.....ITS BROKEN!!!!! Wow. it won't even turn on. Trust me I tried everything you are thinking about suggesting. I've lost total faith in Current products as a result and am going to buy a finnex instead. wish me luck.

Ok I may have over reacted a tad. ;) still I had to return it since it's busted. Finnex 24/7 on the way.

Sent from my SGP561 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No new light yet, but I borrowed this current satellite+ off my 55g.

So I decided to go with three plants for now: java fern, anubias, dwarf lily/tiger lily. None of these need to have their roots buried so it works with the shallow substrate. I think I want to add more 'walking' java and maybe something in the back left, but I like it so far. What do you think?

Attachments

• 1455183127705.jpg
    1455183127705.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 58
Does water wisteria need it's roots buried? I'm trying to find something that grows tall like a jungle val or giant hair grass but my substrate is so low I'm not sure I can get something like that.

Water wisteria does have a bigger root system, as do Val's and swords...

How think is your sand?

Can you add more?

My sand is less than an inch thick. I could add more but wasn't sure it would stay in the corner as the sand substrate tends to level out over time

People use the BPA free report covers from office supply stores and cut the plastic to hold up the substrate and then shore it up from the front with some stones or a very large stone, like a wall or more sand You could do them as potted plant in plastic pots (there are larger ones than the 2" diameter most commonly sold in stores) terra cotta pot or stone pot (rock with hole bored into it - maybe use hole in lava rock found as decorative stone in fish store) from a nursery supply and put them behind DW and / or Stones.

Water wistera can float, be planted or attached to DW/stones. Leaves will possibly look differently depending on how conditions are while it is growing.

Changed it up a bit, what do you thunk

I finally got my finnex 247 and I love it!

On a sad note, I found one of my duplicareus dead under a rock. :(

Attachments

• 1455889505270.jpg
    1455889505270.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 1455889526148.jpg
    1455889526148.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 58
Looks really cool! I'd try to hide the equipment a bit more, the sponge in the corner stocks out like a sore thumb... Lol!

Yeah I'm hoping once my Lily Bulbs grow in that it won't be so prevalent. I thought to hide it behind the Java but I need the water current moving like it is, so I resolved to just live with it as I prefer prefiltering with sponges. The driftwood is keeping the larger sponge from floating and separating the tube from the ac110. I need to trim it or just go with half that size. I haven't decided yet.
Actually I just did, I'm going to cut it in half.

So I managed to get an ac30 for $12 and am building up a 10 gallon beta tank now. I'm using the stock bulb light but am thinking I'll get a small 20" led for it.

Can a male and female betta be in one tank?

Also has anyone seen plants grown on sponge filters? I was thinking I could hide it by doing that but wasn't sure it would work

No!!! Bettas don't work together, in a small tank, long term!

For breeding it's fine, but right after they're done, the female needs to be removed or the male will kill her....

You'd need a 5-6 foot tank with lots of plants and hiding spots and it could work.

That's a good idea, maybe an Anubis? Or some kind of bulb....

Back
Top Bottom