Sixty gallon long stocking tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxkolbe

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey, I just joined this site because I have found it to be a reliable and good source of information.

I just bought a sixty gallon long tank. The dimensions are 48 by 12 3/4 ( I,m not sure about the height) I would like some tips on how to stock it.
I want to get a fish that is fairly large and has a lot of personality.

I was thinking maybe Senegal bichirs, jack dempsies, or angelfish. The water in our area is fairly hard.

Does anyone have any experience or information on these fish? I also am on a tight budget so any tips on how to control the hardness of the water would be appreciated.

Lastly, would an Oscar work in this setup. I've always wanted one but I think the tank is to small. Thank you for your help! : )

I can only speak to experience with Oscars (great fish btw) they have loads of personality and are just interesting to watch as they will eat anything you throw their way, I'm sure you could go to youtube and see various videos of people feeding things from insects to small mammals and reptiles. This size tank would be fine while they are juveniles but the issue that arises is once they are fully grown they are easily equal to the width of the tank.

Typically they say you want about 55 gallons per adult oscar but again that goes to personal preference as I'm sure not everyone abides by that rule but it really is for the best.

Lastly depending on your taste, if you wanted live plants or even plastic plants you can't be too picky about design as with both the Oscar (here's that personality again) will either uproot, destroy or just move around the plants as they see fit.

So all and all awesome fish if you have the space and aren't too picky about the aesthetics of your tank.

(I used to have a mating pair in a 125g before moving to an apartment)

Good Luck : )

Do you think Texas chiclids would work in this tank? Pets art just changed their stock and they now carry a ton of new kinds of fish, mostly new chiclids! : )

Back
Top Bottom