Berlin Filtration Method?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Poon said:
Beengirl is this setup on your 30g? How are your nitrates after you put the cheato in the filter? Did they come down?

This is on my 55g reef. My nitrates were never a big problem. They have always been 5-10 ppm. I did this the have a place for pods to grow cuz I'm tired of buying them. :)

How do you keep your nitrates low? I have had high nitrates from day 45....(10 days after I did a 90% water change after the tank cycled). Not sure what I am doing wrong as I have done regular water changes!

Poon said:
How do you keep your nitrates low? I have had high nitrates from day 45....(10 days after I did a 90% water change after the tank cycled). Not sure what I am doing wrong as I have done regular water changes!

If you feed frozen let cubes thaw and rinse before you feed your tank. I feed every other day. Also, I use a good protein skimmer. Make sure you are topping off with RO water. Water changes once a week. When you do the water changes, prior to removing water, take your powerhead and blow off all the rocks etc. it will help keep things clean. Your source is probably going to be organic waste (overfeeding), your water source (I would test the water you get at an LFS to rule it out), or you may need to clean any filters, sponges, etc. in the tank.

Thanks Nikki! Unfortunately I think I am doing the things you suggest except feeding. I get my RO water from grocery store. I am over feeding and that must be the cause! I need to buck up and get an RODI though too. I did get a protein skimmer which I should have done before getting the canister filter...or not gotten it at all!

I think I'm a little frustrated about my nitrates because i don't have a large bio load at all and I still end up with nitrates at 80ppm with frequent water changes!

I attribute my nitrates being good to keeping my filter clean and having a great skimmer. I'm sure that I overfeed because i do feed my corals a couple times a week too, but because of those two things, I haven't had any issues yet.

Thanks beengirl. experience is better than conjecture. I think I need to clean my filters more often too. I like the idea of using cheato as well, I think it will make a big difference as well!

Poon said:
Thanks beengirl. experience is better than conjecture. I think I need to clean my filters more often too. I like the idea of using cheato as well, I think it will make a big difference as well!

Canisters can be tricky. If you don't clean them often you will continue to have nitrate issues. I have one on one of my 55 gallons and I have to clean it weekly. If you really want to see how truly dirty they get in just a week, take one of those painter buckets (new and clean if course) and drain some water when you do a water change. Open your filter and shake out the sponge filter things really well in it. The water will be nasty! Then I do the same with each tray real fast. I then do it in some clean saltwater and put it back together. I just don't get how it can get that dirty that fast but it does.

It is crazy how dirty the water is when I clean out the canister. Part of the reason to get rid of it. Going to try and clean it more regularly but my goal is not to have to do maintenance weekly! I know...I know...if you want a good setup maintenance is key but it does wear on me when I know it has to be easier than it is. I like maintaining... just expect good results when I do. Thanks for tips. I am curious if I can get the skimmer working to my advantage and am looking to get an old school trickle filter. Wish I hadn't chucked my old one years ago. I am patient and determined. Wish there was more knowledge locally when I am at my LFS! It is amazing how little they know...I guess that goes for me too!

Poon said:
It is crazy how dirty the water is when I clean out the canister. Part of the reason to get rid of it. Going to try and clean it more regularly but my goal is not to have to do maintenance weekly! I know...I know...if you want a good setup maintenance is key but it does wear on me when I know it has to be easier than it is. I like maintaining... just expect good results when I do. Thanks for tips. I am curious if I can get the skimmer working to my advantage and am looking to get an old school trickle filter. Wish I hadn't chucked my old one years ago. I am patient and determined. Wish there was more knowledge locally when I am at my LFS! It is amazing how little they know...I guess that goes for me too!

Have you tried running something that soaks the nitrates up?

nikki_kaiser said:
Have you tried running something that soaks the nitrates up?

Seachem and others make stuff that you put in a mesh bag and you can use in your filter system that will help absorb some of it.

Are they safe? I have read too much I think of the purists view points that want you to have a fuge...ect.

Poon said:
Are they safe? I have read too much I think of the purists view points that want you to have a fuge...ect.

I've used them as have many others. I put some in my canister because my neighbor is feeding my fish as I'm out of town for holiday.

Thanks. Have a great Thanksgiving. I might do my black Friday shopping at petco now...

Okay so I want to see if an idea I have will work. My protein skimmer has a bubble diffuser area in the tank (it is a coralife super skimmer 65g). I have the single bright marineland led lights that sit above that diffuser...could I take out diffuser materials and replace with cheato? My concerns are that it is a very small area and that it may impact the performance of my skimmer...it would however be a very easy answer if it would reduce my nitrates. Thoughts are appreciated.

A trickle filter will cause the same constantly high nitrate levels that your canister is giving you. The purpose of the Berlin or any other modern reef method is to have your rock and sand as the only biological filtration in the reef. Canisters and trickle filters subvert this goal. A skimmer is key as is very very careful feeding. Can you fit a sump in the stand? That's always the ideal option.

As for lights, I can't imagine anything working well in such a tall tank other than good LEDs or a MH. I would consider LEDs because of overall performance, cost and heat.

CorallineAlgae said:
A trickle filter will cause the same constantly high nitrate levels that your canister is giving you. The purpose of the Berlin or any other modern reef method is to have your rock and sand as the only biological filtration in the reef. Canisters and trickle filters subvert this goal. A skimmer is key as is very very careful feeding.

As for lights, I can't imagine anything working well in such a tall tank other than good LEDs or a MH. I would consider LEDs because of overall performance, cost and heat.

Are high quality lights needed for a fowlr system running the Berlin method? I am proposing getting rid of my canister and creating a small fuge for cheato nitrate reduction, which is I guess not the Berlin method anymore? Never done a fuge but have been reading up and thought a trickle filter with guts ripped out and cheato put in as a nitrate reducer. Would that not work? Appreciate the help.

Poon said:
Are high quality lights needed for a fowlr system running the Berlin method? I am proposing getting rid of my canister and creating a small fuge for cheato nitrate reduction, which is I guess not the Berlin method anymore? Never done a fuge but have been reading up and thought a trickle filter with guts ripped out and cheato put in as a nitrate reducer. Would that not work? Appreciate the help.

That's exactly how I setup my systems. It's a modified Berlin method. I LOVE it. Kept fish and masses of corals in a system like that in a 30L for over a decade.

You don't need bright lights. They should be strong enough to keep the bottom well lit. If you want something nice looking, low heat, no bulb replacement just for FOWLR you could look at the Finnex FugeRay fixtures. If you think you may want to try a few corals out the Ray II would allow that. Even a 14000K 20w LED floodlight from eBay would be fine. You may want to build a mount for something like a floodlight.

What do you think about converting my bubble diffuser for my coralife super skimmer 65g to a mini fuge instead of getting the trickle filter, ect? The diffuser is approx 3"in length by 2" wide by 3" deep.

Poon said:
What do you think about converting my bubble diffuser for my coralife super skimmer 65g to a mini fuge instead of getting the trickle filter, ect? The diffuser is approx 3"in length by 2" wide by 3" deep.

So tiny. I can't see any reason not to try it but I don't know how effective it would be. You may end up with algae growing on the inside surfaces of the skimmer. If you can't have a sump it'd be fun to do IMO.

CorallineAlgae said:
So tiny. I can't see any reason not to try it but I don't know how effective it would be. You may end up with algae growing on the inside surfaces of the skimmer. If you can't have a sump it'd be fun to do IMO.

I know small, right. I'm going to give it a shot in mid December. Can't find a lfs with cheato so I have to order it on line and won't be in country for a few weeks to ensue it all gets handled appropriately. Was hoping someone would say. Oh yeah I did that and it worked out great...I guess I'll be they guy in the future....one way or the other.

When I add it what is protocol? Add a little so it grows or fill the thing up or somewhere in between? For trimming it back what is best way to do it? Sorry I know mundane points but I have found the devil many times in details, especially when not at all familiar with something!

Back
Top Bottom