cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schmilnik

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey, I am in the process of cycling my tank and I put the water in and then mixed the salt and then dropped the sand in. My tank is still very cloudy does it take along time to settle? And should I have my filter and my protein skimmer on? Thanks!!

You want some waterflow, and if you have any LR a few hours of light every day will not hurt. If you have a skimmer, I would use it. It will help the cycle along by removing excess DOC's, and maybe cut back on any odors.

"You want some waterflow, and if you have any LR a few hours of light every day will not hurt. If you have a skimmer, I would use it. It will help the cycle along by removing excess DOC's, and maybe cut back on any odors."

Im sorry what is LR stand for and DOC? Im pretty new...
And what type of tests should I be doing and when will I know its ready to add fish? Thanks!!!

Just put your cursor over the letters and it will tell you. LR is Live rock and DOC is dissolved organic Compounds. I personally would not run the skimmer but MT might have a point there. Also skimmers have a break in time also and I guess you could use this time to do that. As far as the filter I would just run it without filter media just for the flow. You dont want to take to much out of the water or they`ll be nothing to feed the nitrifying bacteria. Once the cycle is over you can run it like it`s supposed to be. Good Luck.

schmilnik said:
And what type of tests should I be doing and when will I know its ready to add fish? Thanks!!!
You should monitor Ammonia and nitrite. When those two things have risen and then gone back down to 0 the cycle is complete. What are you using as an ammonia source to cycle the tank with?

MT79 said:
schmilnik said:
You should monitor Ammonia and nitrite. When those two things have risen and then gone back down to 0 the cycle is complete. What are you using as an ammonia source to cycle the tank with?

I followed the article here and put two pieces of raw shrimp in my 46 gallon tank for my ammonia source should I use anything else? By the way thanks for helping me!

Secondly...another question

ok so right when I start the tank my ammonia is at 0? So tell me if im right the ammonia starts at 0 and then rises and comes bac down to 0 and then I can add fish? My ammonia is at 0.50 I did my first test. I have had it running for 2 days now.

Props for reading the article and doing the more humane fishless cycle.
The shrimp, ph and a heater are all you really need.
The cycle should go like this:
Rise in Ammonia, nitrItes start to rise and ammonia declines, the nitrItes will spike and nitrAtes will start to rise, once the nitrItes are at 0, do a decent sized PWC (to remove the nitrAtes) of about 20-30%. Then you can add fish, but only one or two at a time, to give your tank a chance to catch up to the new bioload.

roka64 said:
The cycle should go like this:
Rise in Ammonia, nitrItes start to rise and ammonia declines, the nitrItes will spike and nitrAtes will start to rise, once the nitrItes are at 0, do a decent sized PWC (to remove the nitrAtes) of about 20-30%. Then you can add fish, but only one or two at a time, to give your tank a chance to catch up to the new bioload.

Right on the money (y)

Back
Top Bottom