live rock and inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smonkey15

Aquarium Advice Freak
when fish or inverts are not reef compatible, does this mean that they will damage live rock? or does it only refer to corals and other types of live plants etc.?

Smonkey15 said:
when fish or inverts are not reef compatible, does this mean that they will damage live rock? or does it only refer to corals and other types of live plants etc.?
Actually all of the above to some degree. It will normally mean that they will prey on something desirable to within the ecosystem. Weather that be sessile or mobile inverts as well as fish. For the most part any animal that eats bad algaes will also eat ones that you may wish to preserve hence the desire for refugiums in some cases. It will also depend on the type of reef animals you keep. It is not a hard and fast rule in all cases.

Cheers
Steve

ok. but are they able to eat the bacteria that breaks down the ammonia and nitrites? so if i switched over completly to live rock as my bio filtration but kept my hermits and chocolate chip star and anything else that is not reef compatible would the filtration still occur? thanks
steve

i dont think youll have to worry about anything eating the bacteria the live rock will be fine as far as the filtration part goes

The only thing that will greatly affect the bacteria is excess heat and meds. The animals as possum said, will not have any affect on it except to feed it.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom