Skeleton Coral vs. Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterNuB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have all skeleton coral in my tank. It has established bb. I've been contemplating changing it out with live rock. Do I need to? Advice please...

I like it. Don't see why it would not work for you. I've got lava rock and skeleton coral and my nitrates stay in check just fine.
Only issue I can think of is potential lack of hiding places depending on fish you plan to get.

That's great news thanks. I'll just keep adding to what we have. It hard to find decent pieces for a good price. I'm looking for some yellows and more blues. Hard to keep the whites clean. I clean them at least 2x a month, if not more.

I bleach mine (white). Take it out when it starts to look bad. Drop it in a 5 gallon bucket with a little bleach and a lot of water. Let it sit for a while , should turn white like new. Then flush with running water for a while ( in the bucket , no bleach). I do in the bathtub for about a half an hour.

I was told that this is not legal to make for sale any more. Very few places sell it anymore compared to years ago.

Most of my BB is on the rock (and bio balls in back). Slightly different set-up than yours, but should still be fine.

Love it! Here's my 20 extra high and the skeletons make great LR... That's what a lot of the reef rock is made out of over time

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120930_234921.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120930_234921.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 138
SaltwaterNuB said:
Thanks for the compliments. I will bleach them this week.

I've read that if you bleach rock or coral, you should rinse well, then put in bucket of fresh rodi water with some Prime in it for 24 hours. The Prime will remove the chlorine bleach as it leaches out of the rock/coral. Otherwise, you might leach out bleach into your tank when you put it back in.

Back
Top Bottom